Life Expectancy For Dyspraxics

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Life Expectancy For Dyspraxics

Post by ALADDIN »

I think the Life Expectancy for Dyspraxics is below average, given the problems dyspraxics have including mental health problems. There is no study, but the life expectancy of people who are high functioning autism or very high functioning on the Autistic Spectrum have lower life expectancy, and the difficulties caused by ASD can be the same as dyspraxia. :(
Jim
Super poster

Re: Life Expectancy For Dyspraxics

Post by Jim »

I've never really thought about it to be fair. But I would find it difficult to isolate dyspraxia in relation to a individuals life expectancy. There are just too many other factors to consider.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Aladdin said:I think the Life Expectancy for Dyspraxics is below average, given the problems dyspraxics have including mental health problems.
I have suspected that for a long time. It is unlikely that it's caused by the dyspraxia itself but more by the side effects that you hint at such as stress. This is perhaps even more the case for undiagnosed dyspraxics.

Nevertheless, I would like to avoid it being all doom and gloom. We diagnosed dyspraxics can at least take steps to manage some of the side effects. I'm thinking of the old saying 'forewarned is forearmed.'
Last edited by Ram on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It's an unsettling thought and it has crossed my mind too. I doubt that anyone has ever collected the necessary data in enough granularity for the Office of National Statistics to try to extrapolate. (Please forgive me any statistical terminology faux pas on my part).

Dyspraxia often is not the full story interns of coexisting conditions (or co-morbidity).
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison »

[redacted]
Last edited by skyebison on Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

I don't think dyspraxia itself has any consequences for life expectancy, yet it is often associated with loneliness, which we are always being told on the media these days is worse for you than smoking. I personally am a little sceptical about that, but would be interested in others' views ...
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

otis_b_flywheel said:

I don't think dyspraxia itself has any consequences for life expectancy, yet it is often associated with loneliness, which we are always being told on the media these days is worse for you than smoking. I personally am a little sceptical about that, but would be interested in others' views ...
That is a very interesting point. I'd thought have thought a lot of early deaths among young people are due to taking foolish risks because of peer pressure from the wrong kinds of friends.

Yet I suppose an unhappy solitary person is also prone to unwise lifestyle decisions such as not eating well, exercising or smoking.

Perhaps, it could be argued that poorly managed relationships and poorly managed solitude are both different sides of the same coin.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Sadly I believe one of if not the leading cause of death for adult males under 45 is suicide.

That is a frightening statistic.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Tom fod said:
Sadly I believe one of if not the leading cause of death for adult males under 45 is suicide. That is a frightening statistic.
Tom, I've just done a quick check on this. What you say definitely is the case in Ireland. I couldn't find anything on the UK but I can't imagine it being much different.

Sadly I suspect the rate of suicide among undiagnosed dyspraxics is very high. This of course brings us right back to the theory in Aladdin's original post.

We will never know what the suicide rate is for undiagnosed dyspraxics. However, the suicide rate for diagnosed dyspraxics might be an interesting (if very painful) topic for a thesis/dissertation for any members here who are students of a health or social science course.
Bill S
New member - welcome them!

Post by Bill S »

Especially in my era (b1955) growing up as a dyspraxic at time not a well known condition was as likely to lead to multiple Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACT) a known life expectancy shortener as is PTSD in combat veterans in military.
However what can help change the suicidal veteran life away from his troubled thoughts and to a better life can also be applied to dyspraxic. I diagnoised as dyslexic as a teenager by my mother, I became aware of conflict in my mind not experience by contemporaries as 21 year old and pleased now that only possible solution I could source at time Transcendental Meditation (TM) worked better than cynical me could have hoped for. As similar experience of veteran in below video. Though am aware not a cure for my self diagnosed dyspraxia sorting conflict in brain and increase brain cohesion observable in EEG scan moved me to a higher level and longer life span.
https://youtu.be/UJpTVo5g7yE
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Bill S wrote:Especially in my era (b1955) growing up as a dyspraxic at time not a well known condition was as likely to lead to multiple Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACT) a known life expectancy shortener as is PTSD in combat veterans in military.
However what can help change the suicidal veteran life away from his troubled thoughts and to a better life can also be applied to dyspraxic. I diagnoised as dyslexic as a teenager by my mother, I became aware of conflict in my mind not experience by contemporaries as 21 year old and pleased now that only possible solution I could source at time Transcendental Meditation (TM) worked better than cynical me could have hoped for. As similar experience of veteran in below video. Though am aware not a cure for my self diagnosed dyspraxia sorting conflict in brain and increase brain cohesion observable in EEG scan moved me to a higher level and longer life span.
https://youtu.be/UJpTVo5g7yE
Very interesting stuff, Bill. The overall feeling I'm getting from this thread is that we have adversities to overcom. But with enough self-knowledge and self-discipline we have a good chance of living as long as if not longer than the average.
RenegadeDyspraxic
Getting settled in

Post by RenegadeDyspraxic »

I have never heard of Dyspraxia leading to a reduced life expectancy. I read on Google that some researchers believe that learning disabilities (like Autism) can lead to a reduced life expectancy (according to them, about 16 years on average). According to the study, this is because a number of people with autism actually end up taking their lives or not caring for themselves properly, and so don't live as long.
Yet when it comes to Dyspraxia, I can't say that this is necessarily the case though I wouldn't be surprised that such a thing is happening as well. Yet I can't see any research to actually collaborate this.

Ps - I should add that with the study on life expectancy with autistics, it was really based on the average: in other words calculate the average age of all the people who die who have autism and those who don't, and see which ages have the highest death rates. This explains why 16 years on average is the difference.
So if you have autism, this doesn't mean that you will live a shortened life span.
Are you on Facebook? If so then why not sign up to the Dyspraxia Support Group, where you can chat with fellow Dyspraxics at https://www.facebook.com/groups/294976028092912/
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I agree. I don't feel there is any evidence to suggest our life expectancy is any different.

The NHS did look into concerns about barriers to healthcare for those with learning disabilities but I don't think that is generally applicable to those with Dyspraxics. I don't think much if any research has been ddone into other co-occurring conditions.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

michael
Getting settled in

Post by michael »

I would imagine there's a lot of validity to it. In the US, there have been studies showing that one's zip code ( where you live) can make the difference of about twenty years in life expectency. The reason is 'money.' Money makes life easier and gives you health care options you don't have without it. Like all people with disabilities, the degree to which we can be flexible and pursue various options for earning an income is not as great as it is for people without disabilities. that affects income. Income can either limit or expand options with regard to the safety of the neighborhood in which we live, the quality of the food we eat ( eating healthy organic foods can be quite expensive), our ability to hire help and caregivers when we get old, and our access to quality health care and medication.I know from experience that when I traveled through Italy and became ill, I was fortunate to be able to afford private health care. I was told by the hotel concierge that 'Italians don't go to doctors' they just go to the pharmacist, tell them their symptoms and get medicine. If they are really sick there is only one hospital in the affluent city of Florence where one could literally wait days to be triaged. The point is that the ability to be flexible and earn money in a variety of ways affects our lifestyle, and our options for staying healthy, and I believe our longevity as well.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

In Britain we're relatively fortunate to have the NHS, though it is by no means perfect and people do fall through the cracks or feel unable to seek assistance. Coupled with the demand for mental health services, long waiting lists and a difficult and complex of paths but no clear pathway to getting the help and assistance you need and you may have to fight or better be polite but persistent and dogged.

I'm v fortunate to be relatively mildly Dyspraxic and usually pretty well able to fight my own corner and keep on going despite the not insurmountable barriers I encounter.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator