Being clumsy

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

HopefulMike
Getting settled in

Being clumsy

Post by HopefulMike »

Have you got any interesting/funny clumsy stories?,obviously not including serious injuries. When I was a child/teenager I went to the walk in centre quite a few times. I managed to fall off my Mirco scooter , rode my bike into a metal pole fence...(the bike was more damaged then I was thankfully) and then I became a skater boy and embarrassingly fell off my skateboard in the local park on flat ground in front of some chavs... only had a small cut on by my eyebrow to show for it even..Though these accidents never stopped me doing of these hobbies after falling off them.

I don't currently travel on a bike mainly due to living in a hilly and busy city but then again maybe these accidents are in the back of my mind ! :bike:

Edit** meant to put it can be any sort of clumsiness :grin:
Nicksie
New member - welcome them!

Re: Being clumsy

Post by Nicksie »

Oh man I've got some stories - I find that its actually good to have a little chuckle about it now and then! I'll tell you one of my best.

So the first one is from when I was at a summer camp. It was late so it easy quite dark, and I was the only person around at the time (or so I thought). I came out of my tent and had to navigate through the guide ropes to get to the bathroom, and just on the last rope, I tripped and fell flat on my face! I just got up and brushed it off, thinking nobody saw attend I wasn't hurt so no big deal. Turns out, the guy who runs the campus away the whole thing. He still finds it funny.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

We also have our long running You know you're Dyspraxic when . . .
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... 9&start=60
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
HopefulMike
Getting settled in

Post by HopefulMike »

Nicksie wrote:Oh man I've got some stories - I find that its actually good to have a little chuckle about it now and then! I'll tell you one of my best.

So the first one is from when I was at a summer camp. It was late so it easy quite dark, and I was the only person around at the time (or so I thought). I came out of my tent and had to navigate through the guide ropes to get to the bathroom, and just on the last rope, I tripped and fell flat on my face! I just got up and brushed it off, thinking nobody saw attend I wasn't hurt so no big deal. Turns out, the guy who runs the campus away the whole thing. He still finds it funny.
That's brilliant Nicksie,if you don't find it too embarrassing or get hurt badly its nice to have a laugh about it , or one can think way too much! Though easier said then done sometimes.

Ah thanks Tom I thought I had seen this topic somewhere!!! I looked a few pages into dyspraxia chat but forgot to check day to day living bit , feel free to merge or move this thread.Still getting my way round this place :)
otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

Far too numerous to remember them all, but I once ran into an iron post in the dark whilst supervising a group of kids who were night orienteering!!!
I was winded at the time but seemed to get over it quite quickly. About a year and a half later I went to my doctor complaining of pain in my breastbone. He said "well, you must have broken it at some point". Light bulb moment - and my first broken bone I think #-o
Tim
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Tbh I have no issues with us starting a new thread in Dyspraxia Chat.

I leapt off the bus once before it had come to a complete stop and went arse over' squashing my plums (the fruity variety that I had in my bag to share in office.)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
roxy176
Getting settled in

Post by roxy176 »

Does anyone else constantly fall down stairs? I used to think it was because I wore heels but no one else I know seems to do it. I once fell down 2 flights of stairs after going to the canteen for lunch. Despite being cut and bruised my lunch survived and I ate it once I cleaned myself up!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

roxy176 wrote:Does anyone else constantly fall down stairs? I used to think it was because I wore heels but no one else I know seems to do it. I once fell down 2 flights of stairs after going to the canteen for lunch. Despite being cut and bruised my lunch survived and I ate it once I cleaned myself up!
Hi Roxy and welcome

Tripping over thin air and breaking things are all too common for me too and it can be hard to retain one's sense of humour sometimes.

Maybe we could be employed to assist councils by highlighting uneven paving or as providers of clips for You've Been Framed.

I find I need to concentrate harder on potentially hazardous things as letting my my mind wonder gives my 'dyspraxia trolll' the opportunity to try to upset my day.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

HopefulMike
Getting settled in

Post by HopefulMike »

roxy176 wrote:Does anyone else constantly fall down stairs? I used to think it was because I wore heels but no one else I know seems to do it. I once fell down 2 flights of stairs after going to the canteen for lunch. Despite being cut and bruised my lunch survived and I ate it once I cleaned myself up!
ah I'm so glad I'm not female I don't think I would be able to do heels! lol I actually am fine going down stairs but like to fall up the stairs instead.. yeah bizarre I know!
HopefulMike
Getting settled in

Post by HopefulMike »

otis_b_flywheel wrote:Far too numerous to remember them all, but I once ran into an iron post in the dark whilst supervising a group of kids who were night orienteering!!!
I was winded at the time but seemed to get over it quite quickly. About a year and a half later I went to my doctor complaining of pain in my breastbone. He said "well, you must have broken it at some point". Light bulb moment - and my first broken bone I think #-o
Tim
haha sounds like me when I fell off my scooter , seemed to get over the pain quickly was more worried about my brand new england football top I had ruined then myself. Years later I realised I actually bent my collar bone! I assume if your bone changes shape this means it is broken or fractured ?
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

Yep, loads!! Apart from the classic misjudge of the door frame, pushing/shoulder barging doors which have a 'pull' sign on it....

I tend to look down at my feet when I walk along a pavement. A friend mestioned this to me whilst we were walking to get a coffee, I explained that it's because the pavement can be uneven at times and I don't wanna trip. I then walked straight into a road sign!!

Also, the other at iwas cooking and was drinking a green tea. I grabbed my mug for a quick slurp, but picked up a jug of beer stock and didn't notice until it was swallowed!!
roxy176
Getting settled in

Post by roxy176 »

Haha yup falling up stairs lots of times too! After my meeting to assess for my dyspraxia last Wednesday I walked straight into a wall when I was saying good bye to the disability support guy! I guess that was enough evidence for him lol.
Hedgepig

Post by Hedgepig »

I don't think I pick my feet up properly, so paving stones regularly send me flying. Things just also tend to get knocked over when in my general vicinity.

On the plus side, this can work in your favour when you have a life time of it, like a kind of potential accident alarm. I was on a pub patio during a very busy, pretty messy night, and one of the girls in the group knocked an empty pint glass off the edge of a bench. Because I'd clocked it as an accident waiting to happen, I reached out and caught it as it flipped over the edge and everyone went nuts. I think if any of my high school PE teacher could have seen that they'd have dropped dead in shock.

That said, I'm under no illusion a heavy dose of blind luck was involved. Usually its me flailing in the direction of an accident that happens anyway, and going "I thought that might happen..." at the consequences.

Oh! I've thought of a good one - I do yoga on a regular basis, but am very aware that progress and consistency is just something that happens to other people. I can fall, wobble or flail and generally look like a tit at any moment, and that's fine with me. However, on Sunday, at a free, packed Lululemon class, on a jump forward, I misjudged my force and ended up thunking forward onto my face. What else can you do in moments like that but get the giggles?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome. Glad you've found us.

I like to think of it in terms of we can illuminate hazards for those around us. Being able to laugh at oneself is useful though it can wear a little thin.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

CeceB

Post by CeceB »

In my family there's a lot of "pulling a CeCe" meaning to do something so ridiculous that it's astonishing. Like the time I accidentally hit myself in the head with a shovel doing yard work and ended up concussed. Or the time I was holding a cup of coffee and had an itch, so I just.. Let go of my mug to scratch, spraying the entire dining room with coffee as it fell. Just yesterday I was trying to wrangle in a duffle bag through my front door and kicked up with my foot just as I threw open the screen door. The corner of witch caught my bare toe and ripped half my toe nail off. Oops.

My main hobby is Renovation on my house, so I cant even remember all the times I've fallen off ladders, stepped on a nail, etc. My husband has banned me from using saws in hopes I'll make it to 40 with all my fingers still.