Do people just assume you're lazy?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kroganord
New member - welcome them!

Do people just assume you're lazy?

Post by Kroganord »

Hi i'm new here and I am wondering if anyone else here has other people just assume that you're lazy, the major symptom of my dyspraxia has always been my motivation to get up and do things, like school work or household chores, i do also have a lot of trouble with writing and with my clumsiness as well as how to act in social situations. I am just wondering how people here have coped with others just assuming that you're just lazy because it affected me quite a bit at my last job and has been affecting me quite a lot more recently.

Kroganord :D
poodlelover81
Getting settled in

Re: Do people just assume you're lazy?

Post by poodlelover81 »

Yeah. People just assume I don't want to keep my clothes clean, when I can't keep from spilling on them for reasons understandable for dyspraxics. It's quite hurtful to our self-esteem when people call us lazy:(
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

What many people forget is we often have to work and concentrate much harder on things. .Equally if we're uncertain we can be paralysed by indecision and/or panic. Branding somone as merely lazy without trying to understand why is lazy in itself.

That's my 2ps worth
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

Yep, I get this. and like Tom says, the assumption of laziness is utter laziness on their part from lack of understanding.

Try and take the time to explain somehow, it may help with the lack of understanding.
thirdfocus

Post by thirdfocus »

Yes people assume i'm lazy too but when i try do things i can't do them in the right way which makes me embarrsed and makes me more self-low self esteem so i try my best to avoid doing things
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Avoidance is human nature and not solely the preserve of people like us

Lazy and dyspraxic, two words combined that don't make sense - (until you see the untidy state of my flat 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
DCDjake

Post by DCDjake »

Yeah some family members aunts, cousins, uncles have even went as far as saying there's nothing wrong with me. Like I make a laughing stock of myself while sweeping on purpose.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

Oh geez , Im in a delama of trying to go to the gym; for its part of my goals for the program I am in to go back to work. My nerves does not seem to want to go that route though at the moment. Lazy or just stressful for me, I don't know what to pic

I'm going to get a tattoo on my belly saying " step in my shoes shhh, just step in them damn it " lol
If one figures I am lazy , bam; will unreveal the tattoo for them to read.
I'm getting some of my humour back sweeeeet :) don't know if it's bad thing or good thing lol
space cadet

Post by space cadet »

I assumed that i was lazy.. im 38 and only just realising maybe i'm not.. i try so hard to do normal things like get dressed and get to work on time