Just got back file from my public school

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Just got back file from my public school

Post by firemonkey »

There wasn't much. It was mostly correspondence from my prep school headmaster to my public school headmaster. What was mentioned was that I was poorly coordinated, not a games player, and had difficulty with drawing and writing.
My public school chart mentioned I was disorganised and messy/untidy.

It is obvious from the little written that there were known problems, but unfortunately 40+ years ago there wasn't much knowledge and help available.
I do think it points to possible/probable dyspraxia ,which nowadays as a child would have been picked up on.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Just got back file from my public school

Post by Tom fod »

From the little I know based on my own experiences/knowledge (I went to through State schooling, though my Dad went to Prep and Public school) my impression (right or wrong?) is that educators very much took the view that the pupil could either sink or swim and that there was little truck with learning differences, you just had to persevere. Not so good if one is seemingly trying to do battle against a 6ft high wall with broken glass set into the top! I can understand that games do have a role in development and we have to learn to run with and look after ourselves but I do have a lot of empathy for those who are last to be picked for a team and are not athletic or socially confident.

I was fortunate in that I had some help and was Statemented c1988 but in many ways felt a bit marked out, I don't think the psychological impact or dyspraxia and other differences are properly understood or addressed. I think that things have no doubt improved but there is still room for improvement and that help needs to enable and inspire the recipient

The Dyspraxia Foundation (in Great Britain) was not founded until 1987. According to http://www.dyspraxicfantastic.com/the_d ... _timeline/ a study of impaired coordination 'Congenital Maladroitness' was documented in the early part of the 20th century.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)