Finding a hobby(for dyspraxics!!!)

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dan
Power poster

Re: Finding a hobby(for dyspraxics!!!)

Post by Dan »

I like Overwatch (and gaming in general) too. I used to love Team Fortress 2, which is similar to Overwatch in spirit.
KareemWilliams
New member - welcome them!

Post by KareemWilliams »

ShermansNuss wrote: Sun Oct 18, 6714 10:23 am
Tom foed wrote:I think we could take it further by saying that the person is URL removed for taking part at whatever level and his/her enthusiasm and contribution is valued irrespective of the conditions/labels he or she might happen to have, whether or not he or she has openly avowed these.
Thanks for the advice guys. i desperately need a hobby.
Check out the Dyspraxia Foundation for more information and resources to help understand this under-acknowledged disorder.

Kareem has been a sneaky so and so and tried to slip in an advertising link. He misquoted the wrong person. - Banned!
Last edited by Tom fod on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

Hi, I have the same problem, with knitting that is. I have found that raising orchids is very satisfying, but you will probably need more than that to keep you occupied. It does depend very much on what interests you personally
CoyGonzalez

Post by CoyGonzalez »

Tom fod wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:37 am I think we could take it further by saying that the person is respected for taking part at whatever level and his/her enthusiasm and contribution is valued irrespective of the conditions/labels he or she might happen to have, whether or not he or she has openly avowed these.
Yes, you are right. The person is respected for taking part at the level of his enthusiasm. His contributions make him superior to others.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I personally have relatively few hobbies or at least things I do often enough or long term enough to qualify them as such.

I do like motorsport though, particularly F1 (for all its faults) and this is probably the only single thing that I’ve followed with a passion since the inception of my interest. I’ve been into F1 ever since Dad took me to the British Grand Prix back in 1991. From that moment on I’ve been a Williams fan any anybody who is aware of F1 probably knows how challenging that is to the morale right now!

Naturally for a racing fan I rather like go-karting and actually I’m not too bad at it. I’m not about to launch a racing career obviously (especially at my age) but I’m amongst the quick guys at my local track which isn’t too bad when you take into consideration the hand eye coordination and the general lack of athleticism dyspraxia lends to us.

I’m quite pleased with my performance level especially since actually I don’t do it as often as the real regulars who seem to go weekly or more! I simply can’t afford to go more than once a month so compared to them I’m on the back foot somewhat. But bit by bit I’m getting closer to their pace and from my last two outing I’ve brought back trophies for a 2nd and 3rd place including a race fastest lap too. I was really chuffed to be honest, because I actually out performed a couple of former track lap-record holders in the process.

Here’s an onboard video of my race where I came in 2nd: https://youtu.be/LQUBFyqJfjo

Through my passion for F1 I became interested in photography especially for motorsports (obviously). I managed to blag some media passes to F1 testing at Silverstone, Jerez and Barcelona and even did a few F3, GT and LMS races at Brands Hatch and Spa Francorchamps too. I was trying to make this into a career at one stage but I ran out of steam when the F1 testing dried up and drastically reduced my opportunities to practice.

I wasn’t making any money out of it so I had to prioritise my day job which made it difficult to dedicate time to it. I did make it through the interview stage at Sutton images though. So I can’t have been that bad! Again the coordination difficulties aren’t your best friend in this kind of activity nor over sensory issues when in a big scrum of photographers all trying to get the same Lewis Hamilton pic!

I don’t do it very often these days, so my skills are a bit rusty but if anyone is interested in viewing any of my old galleries visit my Flickr page: https://flickr.com/photos/33534527@N05/ ... 1058682812

I collect 1/43 scale models of F1 cars too, generally minichamps. Anyone who visits my flat can not fail to realise that I’m a bit of a F1 nut.

My only other hobby if you call it that is holiday souvenirs. Ever since I’ve been with my girlfriend we’ve started a collection of coins, shot glasses, plates and mini ornaments from places we visit.

I have a slight fascination by history so I’ve homed in on the mini knights in armour and little models of ancient ruins like the colosseum etc. This summer we’re going to Greece so I’m fully intending on getting a little Parthenon for my very own acropolis and a whole crowd of little ancient mythical and athletic figures.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
MarioMeeks

Post by MarioMeeks »

Jim wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:00 am I personally have relatively few hobbies or at least things I do often enough or long term enough to qualify them as such.

I do like motorsport Agoc Travel though, particularly F1 (for all its faults) and this is probably the only single thing that I’ve followed with a passion since the inception of my interest. I’ve been into F1 ever since Dad took me to the British Grand Prix back in 1991. From that moment on I’ve been a Williams fan any anybody who is aware of F1 probably knows how challenging that is to the morale right now!

Naturally for a racing fan I rather like go-karting and actually I’m not too bad at it. I’m not about to launch a racing career obviously (especially at my age) but I’m amongst the quick guys at my local track which isn’t too bad when you take into consideration the hand eye coordination and the general lack of athleticism dyspraxia lends to us.

I’m quite pleased with my performance level especially since actually I don’t do it as often as the real regulars who seem to go weekly or more! I simply can’t afford to go more than once a month so compared to them I’m on the back foot somewhat. But bit by bit I’m getting closer to their pace and from my last two outing I’ve brought back trophies for a 2nd and 3rd place including a race fastest lap too. I was really chuffed to be honest, because I actually out performed a couple of former track lap-record holders in the process.

Here’s an onboard video of my race where I came in 2nd: https://youtu.be/LQUBFyqJfjo

Through my passion for F1 I became interested in photography especially for motorsports (obviously). I managed to blag some media passes to F1 testing at Silverstone, Jerez and Barcelona and even did a few F3, GT and LMS races at Brands Hatch and Spa Francorchamps too. I was trying to make this into a career at one stage but I ran out of steam when the F1 testing dried up and drastically reduced my opportunities to practice.

I wasn’t making any money out of it so I had to prioritise my day job which made it difficult to dedicate time to it. I did make it through the interview stage at Sutton images though. So I can’t have been that bad! Again the coordination difficulties aren’t your best friend in this kind of activity nor over sensory issues when in a big scrum of photographers all trying to get the same Lewis Hamilton pic!

I don’t do it very often these days, so my skills are a bit rusty but if anyone is interested in viewing any of my old galleries visit my Flickr page: https://flickr.com/photos/33534527@N05/ ... 1058682812

I collect 1/43 scale models of F1 cars too, generally minichamps. Anyone who visits my flat can not fail to realise that I’m a bit of a F1 nut.

My only other hobby if you call it that is holiday souvenirs. Ever since I’ve been with my girlfriend we’ve started a collection of coins, shot glasses, plates and mini ornaments from places we visit.

I have a slight fascination by history so I’ve homed in on the mini knights in armour and little models of ancient ruins like the colosseum etc. This summer we’re going to Greece so I’m fully intending on getting a little Parthenon for my very own acropolis and a whole crowd of little ancient mythical and athletic figures.
I also like motorsport and I am perfect in it. Last year I was second in the tournament and was 1.89 seconds late in the lap.I was congratulated by everyone and also got a special price. Really it is a very nice sport.
WalterWilkerson

Post by WalterWilkerson »

Dan wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:09 pm I like Overwatch (and gaming in general) too. I used to love Team Fortress 2, which is similar to Overwatch in spirit.
I like both these games Overwatch and Team Fortress 2.