Finding a hobby(for dyspraxics!!!)

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Finding a hobby(for dyspraxics!!!)

Post by Tom fod »

otis_b_flywheel (aka Tim) quoting Mary Colley's Living With Dyspraxia wrote:
"- Team games usually require instant responses to the actions of other team members and quick reactions.
- Team games usually require participants to be doing more than one thing at the same time - watching the ball, monitoring movements of other players and organising your own movements.
- Activities which involve competition can affect your self-esteem. You may find that co-operative pursuits are more beneficial."
Depending on how you read it it could be read as " you may be better off avoiding team sports as they'll more than likely sap your self esteem". I guess it needs qualifying as there are variables like the overall competitiveness/inclusiveness of the people you play with, that you may be best advised to carefully consider.

Personally I'm realIy not very sporty or competitive. I wasn't really brought up in a sporty family and didn't exactly enjoy games at school or have the requisite level of interest to want to actively or passively follow amateur or professional sports. that said I think one can feel left out if unable to participate in sports-based or other common social small talk and I sometimes have to remember that in the grand scheme of things this does not need to be important, though I can lose sight of this and can feel quite dejected sometimes.

I used to try to play pool I started off in a team who were just doing it for a laugh and not taking it particularly seriously to being part of a team where my mistakes were very much held against me. On a small number of occasions I was inwardly quite upset by certain comments directed towards me.

I think there's inherent benefit in participating in group activities, but with anything in life you will come into contact with objectionable people who may not be accepting. Depending on your level you may need to hold a personal 'Am I still enjoying this?' audit once in a while and if the answer is No, there is no shame in parting ways to try something different or find a more inclusive/supportive group of people who appreciate your effort and loyalty.

I quite like quizzes and usually go at least once a week. I also like eating out, walking, reading and travel. I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder and also like to potter with a bit of DiY even if the results may not always meet my own exacting requirements.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Tom fod wrote:
otis_b_flywheel (aka Tim) quoting Mary Colley's Living With Dyspraxia wrote:
"- Team games usually require instant responses to the actions of other team members and quick reactions.
- Team games usually require participants to be doing more than one thing at the same time - watching the ball, monitoring movements of other players and organising your own movements.
- Activities which involve competition can affect your self-esteem. You may find that co-operative pursuits are more beneficial."
Depending on how you read it it could be read as " you may be better off avoiding team sports as they'll more than likely sap your self esteem". I guess it needs qualifying as there are variables like the overall competitiveness/inclusiveness of the people you play with, that you may be best advised to carefully consider.
Yes, the thorny matter of team sports and dyspraxia. From what posters say, we cannot be too dogmatic about it. Fortunately, Mary Colley does use the word may meaning that she has done her best to avoid excessive dogmatism.

I think team sports can be suitable for dyspraxics in one of these two situations:
1 The individual has a form of dyspraxia that does not majorly impact his or her performance of the sport. It's always important to remember that different dyspraxics have differing profiles of strengths and weaknesses.
OR
2 The dyspraxic is playing with a group of people that respect his/her enthusiasm despite the struggles that he/she sometimes has in performing the sport.

I may have stated the blindingly obvious, so apologies to any readers who feel as if their intelligence has been insulted!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I think we could take it further by saying that the person is respected for taking part at whatever level and his/her enthusiasm and contribution is valued irrespective of the conditions/labels he or she might happen to have, whether or not he or she has openly avowed these.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
R1ch8rD
Getting settled in

Post by R1ch8rD »

Although a very bizarre hobby for Dyspraxics, mines cricket.
As mentioned above, team sports can be difficult. Particularly when your team mates are relying on you to take a catch or stop a ball.
I joined a team that were desperately short of players, and were just happy to have enough to get people to get a team out. This gave me chance to try cricket without the pressure of messing things up. It was great, I worked out where my strengths and weaknesses were, and played to them. And now put in the right place's can add something to the team. I have also seen an improvement my coordination and confidence.
My tip to anyone is work out your limits then try and push them further. You really can surprise yourself
ShermanNuss
New member - welcome them!

Post by ShermanNuss »

Tom foed wrote:I think we could take it further by saying that the person is respected for taking part at whatever level and his/her enthusiasm and contribution is valued irrespective of the conditions/labels he or she might happen to have, whether or not he or she has openly avowed these.
Thanks for the advice guys. i desperately need a hobby.
Last edited by ShermanNuss on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

I played piano when I was really ickle, but when I found out about Dyspraxia I quit. I met somebody at 16 who also had it and she played rather well, so I thought "to hell with it!"

I imagine it is partly due to my interest at a young age, as that has been shown to develop pathways in the brain to prioritise the things that would be evolutionarily an advantage to us. Little does our brain know that this can be a clever ruse. Still, if you have an interest in music and/or composition, why not give it a go?

My other hobbies include:
Computer programming
Neuroscience and pharmacology in general
Astronomy and astrophysics
Gaming (although I have somewhat lost interest in this as I have aged)
A lively, friendly debate on some topic such as religion
Politics, something my (not even yet) government in the UK could try learning about
...and history!

I hope that gives you some ideas.
melvin1990
Getting settled in

Post by melvin1990 »

I realise this is quite an old thread, but thought I would share my experiences and views on the subject.

In my own personal experience, my hobbies tend to be based in creative terms (not necessarily practical) such as writing fiction or creating computer graphics.

I also greatly enjoy reading a number of different genres, and both non-fiction and fiction. Sports are never something I have been particularly good at, especially team sports, but I have recently taken up golf which I enjoy immensely.

Found a new appreciation for both Scotch whisky and real ale...but again don't quite think that's a hobby!

My history degree means I also enjoy studying many different parts of history, but especially military and American history.

While I'm not sure I'd call it a hobby, I rather like walking my dog, Spencer (although he isn't as fit as he used to be, being 13!).
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Alex and welcome back.

So what aspects/periods of military and/or US history interest you most?

Have you found that you've improved your gross/fine motor skills at all through Golf?

Reanimating old threads is not an issue.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

melvin1990 wrote:I realise this is quite an old thread, but thought I would share my experiences and views on the subject.

In my own personal experience, my hobbies tend to be based in creative terms (not necessarily practical) such as writing fiction or creating computer graphics.

I also greatly enjoy reading a number of different genres, and both non-fiction and fiction. Sports are never something I have been particularly good at, especially team sports, but I have recently taken up golf which I enjoy immensely.

Found a new appreciation for both Scotch whisky and real ale...but again don't quite think that's a hobby!

My history degree means I also enjoy studying many different parts of history, but especially military and American history.

While I'm not sure I'd call it a hobby, I rather like walking my dog, Spencer (although he isn't as fit as he used to be, being 13!).
I love military history - especially during the era of the Roman Republic. It's all quite fascinating to me, especially when looking at Hannibal or Alexander the Great. Have you ever played the Total War games on PC by Creative Assembly?
melvin1990
Getting settled in

Post by melvin1990 »

Tom and Dan,
Thanks for the warm welcome back. My main interests regards military history are the Napoleonic Wars and the First World War, although I have recently developed a new found interest in the second Boer War (1899-1902). As for American history, my main focus is in the political history of the country, especially the presidents of the 20th Century, such as Franklin Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt.

As of yet I haven't noticed any improvement in my fine motor skills from playing golf, but as I only took it up in May, I think it might not have an effect yet...still getting the hang of it!

I haven't played the Total War games Dan, but have played some historical military strategy games both on the PC and PS3/4, including Civilisation 5 and History Legends of War, but thank you for letting me know about them, might well check it out as I used to have a great fondness for the Roman era of history when I was younger.

Thanks

Alex
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

melvin1990 wrote:Tom and Dan,
Thanks for the warm welcome back. My main interests regards military history are the Napoleonic Wars and the First World War, although I have recently developed a new found interest in the second Boer War (1899-1902). As for American history, my main focus is in the political history of the country, especially the presidents of the 20th Century, such as Franklin Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt.

As of yet I haven't noticed any improvement in my fine motor skills from playing golf, but as I only took it up in May, I think it might not have an effect yet...still getting the hang of it!

I haven't played the Total War games Dan, but have played some historical military strategy games both on the PC and PS3/4, including Civilisation 5 and History Legends of War, but thank you for letting me know about them, might well check it out as I used to have a great fondness for the Roman era of history when I was younger.

Thanks

Alex
I also find the Napoleonic era fascinating, especially since us Brits had such an excellent military at that time. Check out "Napoleon: Total War" on PC then. They have one for Rome, Medieval times, feudal Japan, Attila The Hun and a few others.

I read Roosevelt's Biography. He is an extremely interesting guy.
melvin1990
Getting settled in

Post by melvin1990 »

I agree with your point about the Napoleonic Wars, Dan, I find it especially fascinating that Britain's navy was much stronger than our army at the time. I will give the Total War game you mentioned a look. Just out of interest, if you don't mind me asking which Roosevelt (although I think I can guess) was the biography which you read about, Theodore or Franklin?

Thanks again for your suggestions and thoughts

Alex
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Oops! Good point! It was FDR, as you probably guessed.

I believe the British Navy was the largest in the world until 1942, at which point the Americans completely destroyed us in that arena.
jayalexander
Getting settled in

Post by jayalexander »

My main hobby involves horse racing. I've been into it since around 2008 and have now visited around a quarter of the tracks in England, one in Wales, two in Ireland and one in the USA. I'm a member of the London Racing Club and I also impart my supposed equine knowledge, voluntarily, at several courses which host British Champion Series races. I like to have a bet now and again but nothing too extravagant. I did help out at a local stables a few years back but had to give that up due to work commitments.
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

I´ve been playing a lot of Overwatch lately. My aim is terrible, but it is improving slowly. I´m find it helps with spatial awareness as well - at least in game - those doorways still get me in real life.
I went bowling last week with work. I started off being very average, and as the game wore on, I struggled to hit anything! I will stick to computer games in the future :D