Repetition in your head

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shacklesh
New member - welcome them!

Repetition in your head

Post by Shacklesh »

Hello

I'm completely new to this but just wanted some personal opinions from people who also have dyspraxia. Do you ever find that you repeat something over and over in your head? Kind of like a broken record? And its really annoying? Also do you find that when someone is talking to you directly, even though you are trying to listen, you just for the life of you cant take in what they are saying and your vision gets a bit strained and things around you become a bit odd and intense and you just need a time out?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Repetition in your head

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Shacklesh and welcome

I believe it can seem 'normal' for some to become overly focused on certain things that feel important. Equally we sometimes can zone out to what are others are trying to tell us, perhaps because something else is occupying our minds. Sometimes we do become overloaded and do need to take time out.

Of course if you're worried about increased frequency/severity don't be afraid to consult your GP or other appropriate person.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison »

[redacted]
Last edited by skyebison on Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

welcome, slacklash .
If u can look up spd( sensory processing disorder) light sound smell and touch can be overwhelming at times under spd. I am not an expert in this field of course though, but it seems your not the only one who is curious on this topic. Tom probably knows way more about symptoms for he has good knowledge; but it might be to much clutter going on when your trying to listen, so your sensory kicks in at full tilt cuz your focusing on all conversations around instead of focusing hearing one voice that is having a conversation with u. Cheers hope this helps
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Repeating things over and over in head: Yup.
Zoning out in the middle of conversations and having to walk away: Yup.

Dyspraxics are famous for being distracted daydreamers and struggling to process audio queues, as for the repeating stuff over and over again in your head I've heard it mentioned a few times and I wonder if it might be something to do with our often slightly obsessive nature, guess it might be part of being on the autistic spectrum (no idea if this is true just my hypothesis).
poodlelover81
Getting settled in

Post by poodlelover81 »

The repetition in your head sounds like OCD, which I've had on and off since I was 6 and was admitted to an impatient clinic for at 21 or 22. Now I still repeat thoughts in my head but it's much more manageable, given the skills I was thought there. In fact, when I was 8 my mom first used the phrase "broken record player" to describe me. If the repeating thoughts are negative about yourself and/or scaring you, it's very likely to be OCD and I would go to a therapist and psychiatrist to see about medication and counseling, which work best in combination. Can't say anything about the zooming out though
Hedgepig
New member - welcome them!

Post by Hedgepig »

Shacklesh, the bit about having someone talk to you and know you're not taking it in as it's happening is something that happens to me all the time. Often to the point where I get an internal running commentary competing with the instructions, pointing out how much I'm not understanding it right now. I've got into trouble socially more times than I can count because I've responded inappropriately or blandly to something when a reaction has been required before my brain could process what's been said.

Does anyone have any tricks for getting around this? I'm lucky enough to work with a small amount of pretty weird people, and for some reason my audio/visual memory is freakishly strong (to the point where I sometimes have to downplay it socially - nothing like being able to recall an entire exchange with someone almost word for word a year later when they don't even remember you to freak someone out) so it only impacts me in social situations. My first impressions with people always seem to be quiet/disengaged, which isn't exactly the best reputation to have...

Everytime I have something big coming up I promise myself I'm going to do better and make more of an effort, then end up standing silently in a crowd with a head full of white noise. Anyone else find this?
R1ch8rD
Getting settled in

Post by R1ch8rD »

Zoning out when being given instructions is something I'm very familiar with. With me, I will think of a question I think that needs asking halfway though the instruction. But because I worry about forgetting that question, I focus on it so much that I can't take in the information being given to me.
I think this maybe anxiety related as well, probably caused by making so many mistakes with instructions in the past.
Now I really try to relax and just let the other person finish, then start asking my questions, and if I forget what I wanted to ask, I can just come back to it later. I also try and make sure there is no background noise going on like a radio of TV.