Obstacles and challenges faced when visiting the Dentist

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

maryaakhtar
New member - welcome them!

Obstacles and challenges faced when visiting the Dentist

Post by maryaakhtar »

Dear all, I am currently studying at Dental School in London and we have been given the task to complete a research project in communications. I am specifically looking at Dyspraxia and the challenges you face with communication in the dental setting? And any tips to overcome these? Your help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Marya
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Obstacles and challenges faced when visiting the Dentist

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Marya

I'm assume you're seeking informal examples at this stage rather than seeking to collect any specific personal information from respondents using a survey questionnaire?*

Based on my own personal experience only, I'm not certain that as a cross-section of the populace we would particularly stand out any more so than others who may experience communication difficulties. Dentistry seems to have it's own terminology and I haven't experienced any particular difficulty and my dentists have always been good at explaining in plain english what is required and the related cost and I have been accepting of their recommendations and the costs involved.

It's difficult to choose the right wording here but in some cases people with dyspraxia may perhaps find the sensations involved more 'challenging' and like anyone a bad early experience of the dentist might make us more nervous patients and perhaps less able to take in, understand and retain information that is conveyed to or asked of us when we feel stressed/fearful.

What do others think? Any experiences/thoughts you wish to share here?

Btw, I've always wondered What does Eclusal? mean?

*Happy to consider hosting a link to an online survey at a later stage but please contact the moderator team first with necessary assurances re handling and storage of personal information. You may find a potentially larger pool of respondents with the Dyspraxia Foundation.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
LGC2108
Regular Poster

Post by LGC2108 »

As a Dyspraxic, I do have difficulty with having teeth scaled and polished, as having a lot of water in my mouth seems to cause me to "choke" quite a few times each time I go to the dentist. Brushing teeth can also be more difficult for Dyspraxics, due to difficulties with hand-eye coordination.
skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison »

[redacted]