Recently Diagnosed

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Siobhand32
New member - welcome them!

Recently Diagnosed

Post by Siobhand32 »

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with dyspraxia and dyslexia a couple of weeks ago. I am 19 years old ( nearly 20 and having to grow up :rolleyes: ) and have known that I have had difficulties throughout my life, but to me I thought they were normal. I am struggling to come to terms with my diagnosis, in the sense of not knowing much about it, I'm trying to obtain as much information I can but its difficult to retain it. Thinking that bumping into things, not concentrating, walking weird and taking a long time to understand things was something that everyone went through in their life.
My mum has always suspected something, she noticed more when my younger brother was diagnosed with aspergers.
I suffer from severe joint pain and numbness of limbs, does anyone know what can help this? Or is it even something someone suffers from with there dyspraxia?
Im going through a weird emotional phase, which i think is because of the recent diagnosis.
i also have high levels of anxiety, does anyone know of any medication I could take to help with this? my brother is on cetraline ( I think thats how its spelled :P )
And also another question which is a weird one... does anyone have a partner who has aspergers? Im scared to have children because I know the difficulties I had when I was younger.

Thank you for reading this.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Recently Diagnosed

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Siobhan and welcome

It's a lot to take in, remember that despite a common diagnosis we'll all unique individuals and many of us have other co-occurring conditions which may be directly or indirectly linked to our dyspraxia (and/or dyslexia)

Despite the new diagnosis you're still you You've obviously managed to escape notice till now so it may be worthwhile considering that is down to your having developed personal coping strategies despite the dyspraxia and dyslexia. Many people have only learned later in life that they are dyslexic and/or dyspraxic. Digesting and processing lots of information is quite difficult for many of us and factor in the fact you have this new revelation about yourself it's not surprising that you're feeling a range of emotions.

Your GP is still the best point of contact with regard to medication for things that make your life difficult like joint pain and anxiety. It is well worth investigating counselling to try and help yourself manage your anxieties.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Siobhand32
New member - welcome them!

Re: Recently Diagnosed

Post by Siobhand32 »

Thank you :D