Eyesight and Dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

maria
Regular Poster

Eyesight and Dyspraxia

Post by maria »

Was talking about this with my sister recently. Mum had eleven kids and three of us (my sister, me and my late brother) were born dyspraxic. Both my sister and I are short-sighted and the level of sight in one eye is much worse than the other. After my brother died I realised he must have been the same as when sorting out his things I noticed his glasses like ours had one lens much thicker than the other. I do remember the optician saying to me about ten years back (before I knew I was dyspraxic) that to have very different levels of sight in left and right eye is highly unusual but I never gave it much thought at the time.

My late Mum (who we now realise was dyspraxic as she had poor hand-eye co-ordination etc) wore glasses too but I really can't remember if there was much difference in the sight of her left and right eye.

What I'm trying to say, in a very clumsy way, is does anyone think there is a link between having very different levels of sight in each eye and dyspraxia? Or does dyspraxia causes this problem anyway...?

Thanks for making it to the end of this very confusing post! :grin:
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Eyesight and Dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

It makes a lot of sense to me. I have one foot in the visual impairment pothole too. Most of the assistance I have been offered has focused on trying to find ways to ameliorate my visual impairment and as a result for years I have hated myself for being useless and didn't really understand my dyspraxia related challenges, I just pushed myself very hard and was upset and frustrated by lack of success.

I was very interested by this http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=4&t=5218
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

I'm the same! My left eye is fine but I have a lazy eye on my right.
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I don't know if it is related to Dyspraxia but I'm in the same boat, my left eye is pretty good (well about -0.25) where as my right is quite weak about -3.25 I think.
I was the kid at school who had to ware the eye patch to this day I have terrible depth perception if I close my left eye and get very bad headaches without my glasses cos my left tries to over compensate.
lazygomez
New member - welcome them!

Post by lazygomez »

Hi, yes me too, my left eye is much worse than my right. You might have seen my theory on dyspraxia, here's how I explain it. I think we are almost all of us dyspraxics, going to suffer from slowly worsening eyesight because every time we poke ourselves in the eye or strain to see something we don't properly recover and we then correct this with glasses and do the same thing over and over again. I think that the reason my own eyesight is so poor and the big difference between my left and right eyes comes from a bang to the head I received as a 4 yr old falling off a bike. This squash caused pressure on my whole head which caused astigmatism in both eyes but more so in the left eye where the injury was. I'm suggesting that this situation where one eye is worse than the other is a result of physical damage to our head or eye and because of the dyspraxia it's held that way instead of recovering. In the captain's case I'd say that the pain you get when you don't wear glasses is not your other eye over compensating but your worse eye and head trying to relax out the damage which involves releasing the stored pain as well.
Anothersarah

Post by Anothersarah »

I have an astigmatism in both eyes, my left eye is stronger, my right eye is bad.

Interesting to find that this is something common in dyspraxics.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Sarah and welcome

To be fair only five of us here who have responded to this thread so far, but yeah it does seem to be a factor for some of us.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Worried

Post by Worried »

Me too! Short sighted in one eye, long sighted in the other. Last time I went to opticians he said he'd only seen it twice in 15 years.

Oh and astigmatism in both
Last edited by Tom fod on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin
Grumpyguard89

Post by Grumpyguard89 »

I'm somewhat fortunate. One eye longsighted and one eye short sighted. This benefits me in my day to day life and my working life.
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

i'm long sighted, worse in one eye than the other
R1ch8rD
Getting settled in

Post by R1ch8rD »

As stated above, I also have a Lazy Eye (Amblyopia) in my left eye. I had to wear the eye patch over my good eye until I was 9 years old.
I'm currently trying out a Tetris game on the iPad with the red and blue 3D glasses. It basically forces the eyes to work together. It's early days yet, but if I see an improvement I will post it on here.
I have seen a few sites that link Dyspraxia with Amplyopia. I will see if I can find them.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Tom fod wrote:Hi Sarah and welcome

To be fair only five of us here who have responded to this thread so far, but yeah it does seem to be a factor for some of us.
Yeah, I agree with this. The thread name means that confirmation bias is going to lead those who aren't eyesight impaired to rather not post.

My eyesight is okay but my visual 'intelligence' is terrible. I will often scan an image with others and they will see stuff I won't, whether that be a virtual or physical one, as in IRL. Not sure if related but I suppose it is impossible to know without peer-reviewed research.
Miss Lou

Post by Miss Lou »

Hi guys, yeah me as well, a bad left eye. Seems odd that it is the left for us 8-[
pendragon
Getting settled in

Post by pendragon »

I have a bad left eye too. This is spooky - someone should really fund research into it to see if there's a connection.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

To be fair only around ten of us here who have responded to this thread so far, but it does seem to be a factor for some of us.

A while ago I was aware of research being carried out by a lady from the University of East Anglia iirc to do with visual tracking. Not sure if the paper has been published yet.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator