Writing a book on dyspraxia.

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

trueblue42
New member - welcome them!

Writing a book on dyspraxia.

Post by trueblue42 »

Hey all,

As of late I have been looking into literature related to dyspraxia to try and understand the condition better. However, most of the material is aimed at parents and teachers, and are not for the dyspraxic person themselves. Because of this, I have made plans to write a book on dyspraxia. It will be a guide on how to live with the condition from teenage years onward and how best to deal with the issues that surface and also use our learned skills (e.g. resiliency) to their best potential.

Of course, I am only one person who has only experienced a small fragment of the world so far so I cannot write a 'guide to life' sort of book without collecting information and advice from many different people with wide variance in perspectives and experiences. Someone in the military, for example, would have a much different view on working with their condition than somebody employed as a builder or an office worker. This book aims to be as wide-reaching and general as possible, so that everybody can benefit from it in one way or another.

The first couple of questions I would like to ask before this project gets underway ('audience research', so to speak): what are your thoughts on the current state of literature related to dyspraxia? Do you think they address all the issues already or do you think there are still some issues not addressed? Would you read a book written in a positive, non-condescending manner about living with the condition?

If you guys are receptive to the idea then I'll be asking more questions in the future, so stay tuned to this thread!

George
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Writing a book on dyspraxia.

Post by Tom fod »

Hi George and welcome.

I've read Caged in Chaos by Victoria Biggs, It was/is imho very good and caters for teens into young adulthood (school/college/university) but tbh I discovered and read it 20yrs too late for me.

The only other book I read was Coping With Dyspraxia by Jill Eckersley (iirc). For me it felt a bit condescending, but that may be because I'm mildly affected/fiercely independent and self reliant.

I've looked at other books but have not bought any, the two above I found in my local library

This topic has been broached before so worth having a look back at previous threads too for inspiration.

Has anyone else got any thoughts?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Geeky_Vegan
Getting settled in

Post by Geeky_Vegan »

Personally, I find most information you can find is aimed at children, parents and teachers.

It would be great if we had more books and things aimed at adults!
Blowing out my candle won't make yours shine brighter.
Smartcat
New member - welcome them!

Post by Smartcat »

I read your post with interest. Yes, write it! And while we are on the subject, for the love of God, make it funny. The late Mrs Colley was obviously a wonderful and well intentioned person. However, I am 46 with a penchant for nice, if untidily worn clothes. Being told to ditch the high heels and find an easy care hair do, did not go down well!! ("Daddy, why does Mummy keep saying bad words, like the ones you said when you hammered your thumb?"). So be informative but keep a it light!Also spice it up with some anecdotes. Hope this helps and good luck!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome!

As I guy I can more easily 'rock' the low-maintenance crew cut look. Were I a 'laydee' like Emily (Eddie) Howard of Little Britain fame (infamy) I'd be a particularly rubbish transvestite, In fact perhaps almost as weird as my sense of humour 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)