Not very dyspraxic talents

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

ichiban-no-hime
Getting settled in

Not very dyspraxic talents

Post by ichiban-no-hime »

I've been practicing drawing manga for 10 years now, so I'm quite good at it, and people are always quite surprised that I can draw so well with my dyspraxia, especially when they've seen my handwriting!
Does anyone else have any talents that they're surprised they can do?
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Re: Not very dyspraxic talents

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

I'm a guitarist and also an artist like yourself!
Here's a link to my portfolio: https://www.behance.net/sarahbethbradley
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
ssuma

Post by ssuma »

ichiban-no-hime wrote:I've been practicing drawing manga for 10 years now, so I'm quite good at it, and people are always quite surprised that I can draw so well with my dyspraxia, especially when they've seen my handwriting!
Does anyone else have any talents that they're surprised they can do?
I too draw abstract art and cartoons very well. But really sucks at copying. In fact, as a kid, I sometimes pissed teachers off for adding things into "their pictures". Ultimately, they appreciated my "creativity" and won quite few contests as a child.

I honestly think there is something in dyslexics/dyspraxics that cause the development of new art forms, making us very good in art styles such as abstract arts and cartoons. I always suspected Vincent Van Gogh is an undiagnosed dyspraxic and his supposed madness is indirectly caused by it. And I heard Picasso and Andy Warhol are dyslexics.

I really admire dyspraxic musicians. I can just think of the endurance and determination involved in picking up the skill. Certainly, It is a skill I didn't developed. Frankly, I give up on it after a traumatizing experience. Still remember how I ruined my high school choir's performance by hitting the drum like 5 seconds late, resulting in everyone in the choir playing 5 seconds late also. The music teacher who was also the conductor cried. (I know this is very mean) Sometimes, I blamed it on him since he was the one that moved me to drums after he noticed I can't play the trumpet and the flute. I was trying, but I guessed he gave up. Apparently, he thought the drums were not so important; I guessed he was wrong. Haha.

PS: very nice portfolio, oneclumsydragon
ichiban-no-hime
Getting settled in

Post by ichiban-no-hime »

I'd love to be able to play an instrument :lol: Guitar never worked out for me, but I still want to try ukelele!
Teejaye98
Getting settled in

Post by Teejaye98 »

I can type really well, and apparently dyspraxics have trouble with that, according to what I've heard..

Also, I'm a writer. I've written a couple of articles for an online magazine. Not sure if that's non dyspraxic though, I mostly picked it up from not being able to do much of anything else, co-ordination wise
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Please don't let yourself be constrained by notions of what 'someone with dyspraxia cannot do well. Things might require extra effort or a different approach but can still be possible, rewarding and enjoyable.

Look at things differently, big picture thinking, persistence and determination and creativity are all example of strengths some of us have, have developed. If it interests you try to at least have a go. With patience and determination you may surprise yourself and those around you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
katherine100
Getting settled in

Post by katherine100 »

Late reply to this I know but I've just seen this post as I am new to the site. Anyway I have a really random non-dyspraxic talent; I can juggle. It comes from being a natural born fiddler, my hands are always doing something. I was forever throwing something in the air and catching it with one hand while thinking about stuff (weird habit I know!) so I decided to teach myself to juggle. It was hard to learn but I'm pretty good now and I reckon mastering it has been really good for my coordination.

Drawing and playing instruments much more impressive though! I have a real dread of drawing and my attempts at trying to play an instrument have not ended well. Credit to those of you who have managed it. Persistence clearly can pay off!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

No hard n fast rules or time limits here.

Juggling to me at least to me seems very typically undyspraxic but why should we ever be constrained by the notion of "you have dyspraxia don't even bother trying that"
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
katherine100
Getting settled in

Post by katherine100 »

So true Tom fod! I've mastered various things in life which I found a lot more difficult to pick up than other people around me but which I ended up getting good at. I decided I wanted to learn a martial art and I found jiu jitsu really hard to learn (and I do mean really hard! At my first grading the sensai called me a "rash on his grading sheet". I was terrible!) but years later I ended up winning several national medals including a few golds. So glad I decided to learn it and stick with it.
Peerpower
Getting settled in

Post by Peerpower »

I can Crochet!

Ok, it took me longer to learn it and I'm still pretty slow at it but I don't care because I did it :banana:

If you give me a book on how to learn something I can't. But YouTube is FANTASTIC for teaching. Arts and crafts, and musical instruments for EG. You can pause and repeat bits and no one gets exasperated lol (except me, fairly often lol)

I was told to give up by one person when they were trying to show me how to crochet. But I think I'm stubborn and that really helps! Maybe the Dyspraxia can make us more determined people?
katherine100
Getting settled in

Post by katherine100 »

Crochet! That's a different one! Well done you :)

I think dyspraxia does make us more determined, for sure. My husband reckons I have a "head against a brick wall" personality. Meaning I'm always attempting things I find really difficult. I think he means it as a compliment!

Katherine
SansaBaby
Getting settled in

Post by SansaBaby »

Not sure if this counts but carrying my daughter in a carrier.

Apparently my muscle tone and posture should be poor due to my dyspraxia but I love putting my daughter in a carrier and carrying her on my back. It makes me tired but so worth it to know where she is.
Suspected Dyspraxic

Mother to a beautiful daughter (b. 28/6/15) and a cat
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

SansaBaby wrote: . . . Apparently my muscle tone and posture should be poor due to my dyspraxia . . . .
We're all affected differently and co-occurring conditions make it very difficult to pin down what is specifically dyspraxia related. Please make arrangements to visit your GP at the earliest opportunity with respect the difficulties you are experiencing. If possible take someone with you and write down examples of what day to day activities are causing you difficulty and what you hope to get in terms of help and/or assistance + any worries you need reassurance about.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

ComicBookFan
Getting settled in

Post by ComicBookFan »

I'm not bad at drawing and now find it a good way to switch off. Unfortunately the school I went to didn't think art was important enough to offer as a subject. They were more interested in sport, especially Irish sports GAA.
pepper
New member - welcome them!

Post by pepper »

I too can actually
Touch type but found it originally impossible to learn formally so I have just weirdly become naturally good at it ( don’t mean to sound boastful) when I don’t think about it it’s fine as soon as I concentrate it all goes to pot.😂