Does anyone else make alot of lists?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

why
New member - welcome them!

Does anyone else make alot of lists?

Post by why »

I have dyspraxia and I have this habit of always making lists, I cannot help it I have to rank things and it could be about any topic. Does anyone on here with dyspaxia do this also?
Jake468
Getting settled in

Re: Does anyone else make alot of lists?

Post by Jake468 »

Not quite the same thing, but I have a habit of making a lot of playlists of music, which involves going through the tracks to meticulously arrange each release in chronological order, adding all the correct artwork in high resolution, adding fields for catalogue numbers of the releases, specific genres, stuff like that...find it quite satisfying to have something which I can arrange and organise properly, perhaps its due to not being able to do this with most other things :L
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

I make lots of lists and didn't realise until recently that other people do it! I think it may be a dyspraxic thing. I love making lists of things like the kings of England and their reigns and learning them by heart! I'm not sure why I do it but I find it relaxing and stops me over-thinking. I always used to do it a lot as a child.

Sometimes I like just sitting and writing an alphabetical list of names, or all the flowers I can think of etc. I know it sounds a bit mad. Sometimes it can become a bit of an obsession, so I try to keep a lid on it.

I always used to love reading dictionaries and encyclopaedias when I was a child. I love books of lists and facts.

I always thought I was the only one who did this - not that I tend to admit it to other people very often! THat's the great thing about this site, you can say things that you wouldn't say to your family and friends - or not too often anyway!

Nicky
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

I just noticed, Jake, that you said maybe you do it because you can organise things and it's satisfying. I think that's right. I;m not very organised in my every day life (although I'm learning), I tend to be untidy and forget things - like where are my keys etc. But I can memorise lists of things. I find I have a good long term memory but often not such a good short term one. Perhaps my mind is always wandering off to my lists though!!
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

nickye wrote:Perhaps my mind is always wandering off to my lists though!!
I can empathise with that, at times a single word someone says can make my mind fly off somewhere else, usually to something silly and trivial like music or a film.. This can be a bit of a problem, especially when said person is trying to tell you something important :s
pepper

Post by pepper »

List making i can totally identify with that ! i make to do lists, and went through a phase of writing down the names of the states of America trying to memorise them i think it is a way of organising all the thoughts going round and round, i also am in the habit of making lists of things i would like to buy more often than not though i take photos of things on the internet like a picture list it is better than obsessing about trying to remember what i have seen and would like to buy
krooju

Post by krooju »

I used to make a lot of lists, all through my youth, -- until someone told me it was really weird, and then I started feeling very self-conscious about it (this was some years ago). A bit silly really, as I realised they actually helped quite a bit, to keep me on track with stuff. So now, I am trying to re-attain the habit I stamped out!
SansaBaby
Getting settled in

Post by SansaBaby »

Jake468 wrote:Not quite the same thing, but I have a habit of making a lot of playlists of music, which involves going through the tracks to meticulously arrange each release in chronological order, adding all the correct artwork in high resolution, adding fields for catalogue numbers of the releases, specific genres, stuff like that...find it quite satisfying to have something which I can arrange and organise properly, perhaps its due to not being able to do this with most other things :L
I do this but instead of doing artwork etc. I record how many times I've listened to a song and order my music in the order of most played to least played, then alphabettical order of song name, then alphabettical order of artist/band name. My husband finds it irritating and can't understand why I find this comforting.
Suspected Dyspraxic

Mother to a beautiful daughter (b. 28/6/15) and a cat