Dyspraxia Foundation

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Creative
Super poster

Dyspraxia Foundation

Post by Creative »

Has anyone else joined the Dyspraxia Foundation? I sent off my form to join today.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia Foundation

Post by Tom fod »

I've been a member for a couple of years now and get the monthly newsletter by email. I haven't been to any of their events as yet and unfortunately there is not an adult group in my area. (I guess I could take the initiative and see if there was any demand/explore idea of setting one up.

I'm sure my membership helps to a small degree with their work.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Yup me too I've been a member for a couple of years now, but like Tom says it seems to be very child focused, lots of support groups for moms with dyspraxic kids etc. but nothing for adults, seems like once you get past about 18 your on your own :( .
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

The Dyspraxia Foundation, do work, but they are so strongly biased towards children, especially parents of children.

I attended the Dyspraxia Foundation, adult support group, which has stopped. The person was not supportive, rude, assumed I had a diagnosis as a child, asperger syndome is the only condition (my diagnosis is aspergers traits), my family were supportive.

I attended a barbecue, there was only the person in charge's son (an adult who was diagnosed with dyspraxia as a child), parents of children. She assumed I had careers advice (despite being a careers advisor), I understood dyspraxia.

At a pub group, there were several adults, she patronised me.

In late 20210, when I asked about work problems, she shouted at me, blaming my parents, she said I think you have asperger syndrome more than dyspraxia, take your mother to the job centre, find a Disability Employment Advisor, get an advocate.

My mother is ill, there are few people who understand dyspraxia.
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

They have just sent me information for children so I put a message on their face book page.
I think they are getting better at supporting adults.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

They do seem to run employment workshops for adults occasionally.

Because I'm in work they're not something of use or interest personally as I'd probably want/need to organise trains/coach and possible an overnight stay. Hopefullty they've been useful to those who have a need and attended these. I think they come under the Dyspraxia Dynamo project.

We did toy with the idea of a meet up of forum members but as we come from various parts of the country and were not able to reach a consensus on venue, and what to do etc, it has not happened as yet.

I was thinking other night (Danger!) that perhaps we could revisit but be 'more parochial' in that those of us in the SW meet up, while other members in other regions e.g. East, SE, Scotland etc do likewise. This would hopefully avoid the situation whereby people don't find themselves having to commit to the expense of travelling to the other side of the country (unless of course they are happy/keen to do so.)

Or perhaps we could meet virtually in a group video chat or some-such type thing?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)