Talking...

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

SavV
Regular Poster

Talking...

Post by SavV »

Hey All, I remembered the URL of this site. I suppose I should bookmark it since I've already forgotten it once and its only been a week...stupid browser history cleared itself on me.

Anyway, I was just curious how many others of you have problems talking. Not talking to people, but with their words and the like. Unless I'm really concentrating I say all my 'r' sounds as 'w', which can get kind of annoying at times. Especially with peoples names, they dont tend to like it if I say their name wrong, but its ok for them to say mine wrong. Go Figure. Then theres the tendency to talk to fast and confuse myself and who Im talking to, and to top it off a vague lisp and a tendency to start stuttering when the word I'm trying to say just doesn't want to come forth from my brain to my tongue.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

The forever curious,
SavV
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

I stutter ocasionally - like I just can't get the word out. I have an annoying tendency to forget what I'm saying mid-sentence or not be able to remember the next word, and sometimes, if someone says something, or I'm thinking of something else, I'll often replace a word with another - for example, last night, "I'm going to go put the ice-cream in the bath. Wait - fridge"
rah
Power poster

Post by rah »

yep, i definitely have issues with my speech!

i'm always forgetting words, even really simple, everyday words. i stutter a bit too, as words seem to get jumbled up in my mouth and like johanna i completely forget what i'm talking about mid sentance and replace words with whatever i'm thinking about!

i've known most of my friends since we were in school and i think they're well and truly used to me messing up conversations now!
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I do very occasionally forget what I was about to say or do. #-o

More often I speak either too fast or too loud. I'm forever being told stop (particularly by my parents) that I'm shouting - and I'm taken aback - "am I?" Judging my volume earned me the title "little foghorn" when I was smaller after the Pam Ayers poem. :grin:

In group situations I find I'm often somewhat lost in reading other people - I'll often miss my turn to speak or unintentionally override someone else which looks like an interruption but isn't I just thought they'd stopped otherwise I can tend to stay silent. Makes seminars barrels of fun. :-k

Memorably I also once got up and left the room when my finaceé was talking to me which was rude but I was suddenly seized by the notion I had to go do something but I honestly thought she had finished speaking.

I realise this is why dyspraxia can fall under the auspices of speech and language therapy.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

SavV - I encounter all of the same things that you listed, although most of the time I'm not able to hear that I'm doing them. It's only if I hear my voice recorded that I notice, or more often that someone takes the p*ss :(
Last edited by Daniel on Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey
Getting settled in

Post by monkey »

i have some diffiucltys talking. i have troubel getting the words to my mtouh. then i have trouble making them come out clear. it takes alot of concentration to have a clear converstation. i am hvaing speech lange theipry at the meomtn.
SavV
Regular Poster

Post by SavV »

Hey Dan, yes sometimes I notice when I am stuffing up my words, but usually its only noticeable if I hear a recording of myself. And, yes, when people are taking the ****. Which happens quite regularly. Before they diagnosed me, and even afterwards, I continually had teachers especially trying to get me to talk 'properly'. It still bugs me when people try to do that. I, personally, have no problems understanding myself..... :P
On a different tack of the same subject, my best mate - whose a female - declares it to be "cute" and prefers it when I stuff up my words than when I talk 'normally'. Don't really get where she is coming from....

Cheers,
SavV
Crofty
Getting settled in

Post by Crofty »

i have that problem too,

i stammer!

thing us, I have something come into my head and i wanna say it fast, before i forget, and bang, it comes out so fast, i have to repeat half the sentence to get the whole sentence right,

mrs gets frnstrated with hearing the same line over and over

crofty
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

It could be the Boris Johnson effect. As his cult of bumbling celebrity probably hasn't reached NZ you can watch this for some idea of who I'm referring to: (Boris being the dishevelled looking presenter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGKiGz4-Dy0

I've heard it tell that some women find him sexy because his bumbling makes him appear that he needs looking after, which is something of a draw to them.
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

Lithium_joe wrote:II'm forever being told stop (particularly by my parents) that I'm shouting - and I'm taken aback - "am I?"... I'll often miss my turn to speak
I know how you feel - I can't ever seem to get a word in edgeways - when I think it's my turn to speak, someone will speak over me, and I get very angry - to the point of shouting over my fiancee in an exaggerated voice so he realises.

and yes - I can never tell if I'm shouting
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Happened today while out for a meal for Mother's Day - apparently I'd just raised my voulme while talking in the pub. I genuinely hadn't noticed.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

it isn't so much the speaking/people understanding so much, as these foreign call centres that I get annoyed with.

especially when they can't understand a word you say, and can't speak proper english!

let alone understand how a pc works! like last time I used the pc, needed help with setting up my bt mail account with online assistance, as couldn't understand what he was saying as he was mumbling away down the phone.

anyway the point came that I had to restart the pc, and as I have loads of drivers boot up with the pc, for things like music, games, etc. then I hit ctrl, alt, and delete to close some running programs, he had control of my pc, and started playing with the settings, and ended up me having to re-install again, so not going with on-line assistance again!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Indian call centres are a different matter but when will companies realise that 'cheaper' does not necessarily equate with 'better'. I want services I can trust and communicate effectively with. Fortunately the main companies I do deal with all have UK call centres, however my last bosses had the misfortune of banking with HSBC and they'd often go around in circles with these call centres using set scripts and completely unable to deal with their specific problem. Give me a straight talking Scottish accent, friendly Irish accent or prim and proper home counties accent to deal with any day!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I agree with that Dan,

also they know how long pc's have been around, so they know there are very few people that still don't know the difference between the on/off switch!

like I have been using a pc for nearly 20 years, so I know my way around a pc, and programming without any real problems, like which background apps, I can stop without it effecting -performance, and shutting down the pc, because I clicked the wrong app to shut down!

mainly because it was the first thing I done when buying the os, is seeing how much I could close! and which apps are actually needed, and then as adding programs on, then I have been learning the app names, so that I know whether it is safe to close it or not.

like for the first couple of weeks I had a list, so that I knew I couldn't close those apps, mainly because it was shorter than a list of apps I could close!!
Johanna
Getting settled in

Post by Johanna »

I can't understand my landlord, and he can't understand me, which is always embarassing. he's like "Can I get my post?" and I go "...uh... sorry, I'm a bit deaf" and then scream "Elen!" (my flatmate) then run off... pright pink coloured.