Anyone else have low muscle tone and bad back pain?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Samuel.eats.grass
New member - welcome them!

Anyone else have low muscle tone and bad back pain?

Post by Samuel.eats.grass »

Hi, as I am writing this my back and shoulders hurt a lot. My shoulders click a lot at times. I have been to doctors who say it is mostly caused by me not moving for hours at a time when I'm sitting down (I don't notice until it's too late that I haven't moved in ages). If I go walking my ankles hurt after a short while, I presume this is related to low muscle tone too. IT is frustrating because how can you get fit if you can't walk or exercise much. Obviously hand writing also hurts for me, I know this is an obvious problem associated with dyspraxia but I haven't read much about back pain etc.

Anyone else have this problem?
dyspraxicyoungperson
Getting settled in

Re: Anyone else have low muscle tone and bad back pain?

Post by dyspraxicyoungperson »

hiya,
I have low muscle tone but I don't have a particularly painful back, I would ess suggest having a light massage or possibly visiting an Osteopath May give you some light exercises.
Hope that helps.
J
pappleyard

Post by pappleyard »

I visit a chiropractor. I have found one I trust and who also seems to have a good all-round understanding of the human body and other contributing factors that may lead to back pain. As both the chiroprator and a doctor said it's very important to do strengthening exercises that the chiroprator or doctor gives you.

Two seperate chiroprators also said that some people have reactions to certain types of metal which can lead to weaknesses in the human body. I don't wear a ring since some basic tests they did seemed to indicate this was an issue for me. It's not going to be the case for everyone but its worth considering. It's also a fairly new discovery (I think) so not everyone you ask will be aware of it.
ritcmj

Post by ritcmj »

Hey I have low muscle tone, unless i go to the gym a lot, i also have bad back pain. I'm 19 and have played a lot of sport, i've played a decent standard of rugby, now I have terrible knees and shoulders. I saw a physio who told me I have the joints and muscles of a 35 year old.
DanTheOutlaw
Getting settled in

Post by DanTheOutlaw »

I don't have visable low muscle tone however my body fatigues extreamly quickly, long before I'm breathless.
kmiller

Post by kmiller »

Samuel.eats.grass wrote:Hi, as I am writing this my back and shoulders hurt a lot. My Back Brace For Posture click a lot at times. I have been to doctors who say it is mostly caused by me not moving for hours at a time when I'm sitting down (I don't notice until it's too late that I haven't moved in ages). If I go walking my ankles hurt after a short while, I presume this is related to low muscle tone too. IT is frustrating because how can you get fit if you can't walk or exercise much. Obviously hand writing also hurts for me, I know this is an obvious problem associated with dyspraxia but I haven't read much about back pain etc.

i knew it when bones get weak it gives pain and difficult in doing exercise .toes should be pain after walking a while .i suggest u to do yoga it makes body relief and get ride from problem.after some time pain will decreses.
Animal lover
Getting settled in

Post by Animal lover »

Is it to do with hypermobility syndrome? I know most of us dyspraxics have that and can cause pain. Also it could be that we have bad posture, I know I'm always slumped
over a computer and I don't keep my back straight so I always ache in my neck and my shoulders. Maybe just try consciously making an effort to sit with a straight back and do some exercises to stretch out your muscles?
Everyone is a genius. But when you judge a fish on it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing it is stupid.
Ditsy

Post by Ditsy »

Definately have back pain and low muscle tone, did yoga for a bit but then went to walking which seems to be good for me as less likelihood of my clumsiness giving me a severe injury all though I have tripped on the pavement a few times.
I currently have a heat pad on my back as a bit sore, I did walk smack into a heavy door at work this week and got a mean bruise can't remember if it hit my back on the way out :)
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

Ditsy wrote:Definately have back pain and low muscle tone, did yoga for a bit but then went to walking which seems to be good for me as less likelihood of my clumsiness giving me a severe injury all though I have tripped on the pavement a few times.
I currently have a heat pad on my back as a bit sore, I did walk smack into a heavy door at work this week and got a mean bruise can't remember if it hit my back on the way out :)

Hello, maybe I can help with your question . If u can look up (spd) uu might find it interesting
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

I've got these problems it's very annoying!! :(
pappleyard

Post by pappleyard »

I’ve started using a laptop now. I find that being able to move it to different places keeps me a little more mobile.

I also use an app to remind me to move when I’m using the laptop. Plus I use an app for back stretches.
AdiB47
Getting settled in

Post by AdiB47 »

Animal lover wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:24 pm Is it to do with hypermobility syndrome? I know most of us dyspraxics have that and can cause pain. Also it could be that we have bad posture, I know I'm always slumped
over a computer and I don't keep my back straight so I always ache in my neck and my shoulders. Maybe just try consciously making an effort to sit with a straight back and do some exercises to stretch out your muscles?
Hypermobility and low muscle tone do seem to crop up alongside dyspraxia a lot. I am mildly hypermobile (never dislocated anything) but had a real problem getting a GP/physio to diagnose it properly. I think it's another thing that is not sufficiently understood in general medical practice, or even some physios, which can cause another problem for diagnosis of dyspraxia.

Posture is certainly an issue and that can cause all manner of aches and pains. I try to keep active and move around as well do regular (well, not as regular as I should) strengthening exercises, largely due to weak ankles that have a knock-on effect on legs and hips as they work to compensate.
andica

Post by andica »

I've had back problems since childhood.
I have always been told I must improve my posture to strengthen my back.
But, I found this very difficult. Since I found out it is a Dyspraxia symptom, perhaps now I know why.

A strict regime of stretches(do it on a daily basis) and weights helps strengthen your core, and so reduces the impact of a compulsion to slouching.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I have low muscle tone and have had back surgery for it. I've always had low muscle tone, I heard it's a dyspraxic thing, because we generally are not as athletic as some people because of muscle coordination, eye hand coordination, and balance issues. I've read a few medical journal articles (American) that claim dyspraxic children have higher rates of obesity and Type 2 diabetes as well. Don't know if it's a fact though because it was only a few journal articles. Not much journal info on dyspraxia in the US.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Samuel.eats.grass wrote: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 pm Hi, as I am writing this my back and shoulders hurt a lot. My shoulders click a lot at times. I have been to doctors who say it is mostly caused by me not moving for hours at a time when I'm sitting down (I don't notice until it's too late that I haven't moved in ages). If I go walking my ankles hurt after a short while, I presume this is related to low muscle tone too. IT is frustrating because how can you get fit if you can't walk or exercise much. Obviously hand writing also hurts for me, I know this is an obvious problem associated with dyspraxia but I haven't read much about back pain etc.

Hi. I've never thought of myself as having low muscle tone, but as I probably have ADHD I've always been quite active / sporty (not team sports - I suck at that). However, I've had back pain since puberty - I'm 60 this year - and my joints are older than their time - I had one hip replacement at 54; I had a discectomy in my 30s. I don't let it stop me doing stuff but my shoulders, wrists, knees and ankles play up also. I didn't know there might be a connection with joint pain and my newly discovered dyspraxia. Is there any research on this anybody knows of?