What do you look for in a book?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

shodgkin@telus.net
New member - welcome them!

What do you look for in a book?

Post by shodgkin@telus.net »

I am currently working on a book on how to be successful when you have dyspraxia and I am looking for feedback on the kind of things you would look for when reading a self help book type book about dyspraxia.
So what information would you look for in a self help book for people with dyspraxia?
Ditsy

Re: What do you look for in a book?

Post by Ditsy »

Hello I have read a few books as best I can ,as I found out a few months ago that I have Dyspraxia, Dyslexia and apparently a short attention span.and low reading comprehension.i found I really liked to read about other people's experiences as I find this uplifting.
I would love to read a skinny book with big print so I could read it from start to finish for a change and it wouldn't take ages and I would remember the info.
I also would love to see in a book advice about money management and how not to be taken advantage of by people that are smarter than me I guess this is assertiveness.
This would be great in work and relationships
I have learned a lot just from reading what people have to say in this forum.
I admire your confidence in writing a book and asking this question I find that inspiring
shodgkin@telus.net
New member - welcome them!

Post by shodgkin@telus.net »

thank you for having the courage to tellme I resally appreciate the input
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi

I've moved this into Dyspraxia Chat as I feel it's more likely to be seen and responded to here. It could equally fit into Day to Day Living.

It would definitely be a challenge given we all cope differently and are affected to varying degrees in different ways. Have you read any other similar works. I found Victoria Biggs' Caged in Chaos was good but I was a lot older than the targeted age range so it was of limited relevance for myself. I do think there is a need for a self help/survival guide written for adults who discover they have the condition and need something they can turn to.

IMHO it would be useful to include (but not be limited to) the following
Dyspraxic friendly Information about how our minds may work differently and how we can help ourselves to take a step back in stressful situations.
Tips for how to educate family and friends and for coping with stressful situations we might encounter
Disclosure. - The potential benefits of and strategies of how to explain to your employer/prospective employer about reasonable adjustments and how they can help you realise your potential and benefit both you and your employer.
Something accessible and available in alternative formats (like E-book) to help people who are not avid readers.
Advice about where/who you could approach for help/advice or other assistance.
Tips for day to day tasks and that your 'dyspraxic' way of doing something can be equally valid or possibly better than the accepted way so don't be afraid to think outside the box.
Case studies and other inspirational tips.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)