Unsure

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

pixie
New member - welcome them!

Unsure

Post by pixie »

Hi,

I'm new to this so apologies if this is not the correct place for my post...

For a long time I have wanted to do dancing but my family weren't so keen on it because of the co-ordination/balance problems. I am now at university and would really like to join the dance club, again, family says no I shouldn't, BUT I would really like to do it. I have several doubts though because I don't want to look like an idiot in front of people. My family keep saying I should go and meet people and do something I enjoy and I would really like to meet new people but I don't know what to do.

Has anyone any suggestions?

*Sorry if it sounds rather garbled 8-[
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Hi Pixie,

Welcome to the forum. I'm 19 years of age and can really relate to what you are saying. My parents always want me to go and meet new people and make new friends. I'm quite shy you see and only have about 2 people I see.

I have particually few female friends. Again as I am quite shy.

I'm OK if someone starts a conversaton, It's just the initial bit I'm rubbish at.

As a guy, it was tough with balance and coordination, I could never dance well at school.

If you enjoy dance, go to a couple of sessions. What's the worst that could happen. If it's for you it will happen. You could always explain the situation to the teacher before hand to get some extra help if needs be.

Hope this helps.
pixie
New member - welcome them!

Post by pixie »

Thank you, it's good to know I'm not the only one O:)
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Hi Pixie,

If I were you, if you really want to try it then give it a go! Normally with Uni Socs you turn up any week and give whatever it is a go. If it's good and you enjoy it, go again next week. If it doesn't work out, you don't go again; no skin off your nose. As David mentioned you could mention your difficulties to the teacher, or you could just take the leap as it may well be that people are there of all abilities who do it for fun.

Let us know how you get on.

Dan.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

the way I look at it, there is only 1 way of failing something you want to do! and that is actually not doing anything about it.

if you want to do something in your life, then go for it, if there is something you are willing to learn, then the teacher should help you, reguardless of amount of time!

it might be hard work, but it will allow you to become better for it.

and if you feel you can do it, then you won't let the Dyspaxia stand in the way.

just wish I could say that to myself sometimes!!

P.S. welcome to the forum
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

Hi Pixie

I agree, give it a go! I go to salsa dance lessons and thepeople who started at the same time as me are Much MUCH better than me now. They learnt the steps quicker and seemed more relaxed. But I still enjoy it when I go and no-one minds, not even the teacher.

It's good for me in other ways too, I'm more confident and it makes me laugh!

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Meg
Power poster

Post by Meg »

I recently joined a drama group and I love it. Its not just for acting ther eare oother duties to get involved wit hsuch as making hte set, costume, wardrobe and bar and front of House, sound and lighting. In fact i'm helping with the lighting for this next show thts going to run from the 22nd of Feb till the 3rd of MArch.

Luv Meg
Xxxx
robyn

Post by robyn »

you should def go for it, I did dancing when I was a kid, and I was terrible at it, but I'll happily go out dancing with my pals on a night out cause I feel comfortable with them and then I dance ok (one of my pals is a professional dancer and she says Im ok so that'll do me). The more confident and positive you are about it the more likely you'll be good at it, there will be beginner classes where everyone will be in the same boat and you could allways try dance dvds at home first if you wanted. good luck
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Nuts to your parents. At uni you can join any society you want to regardless of their approval (seriously, trust me on this :P)

Yeah, the chances of your turning out to be bad at it are above average, so what? I'm bad at badminton (at least compared to opponents with a similar level of experience) but I still enjoy it :D My general experience of uni societies is that they are about fun, not about being the best.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

my advice is go for it you will never know if you will be any good at it or enjoy it if u dont try. i do yoga and thats all about balance which i have zero but i enjoy it andslowly getting better at it
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Nicky
Getting settled in

Post by Nicky »

Uni is the best place to try new things, it may be challenging, but worth a go. No harm in trying. Hope you enjoy it.
Trust those searching for the truth, never those who have found it.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

have you had anymore thought, or information about this topic Pixie?

if so please let us know how you get on and stuff.