Toe-walking

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

gothicsmurf
Getting settled in

Toe-walking

Post by gothicsmurf »

I was talking to my mum earlier on about how old I was when I learned to walk. She said that I started walking when I was 18 Months Old, and that I was walking on my tip-toes until shortly before my 2nd birthday.

I know that delays in reaching developmental milestones, like learning to walk, is part of the symptoms of Dyspraxia, but I am keen to hear from other Dyspraxics as to whether they ever had problems learning to walking and developing a normal heel-to-toe walking style?
Mcewan90
Getting settled in

Re: Toe-walking

Post by Mcewan90 »

I cant remember much about my walking when I was younger but when I walk now I usually walk from side to side and find it difficult to walk in a straight line (I would probably fail a drunk test lol). Most people wouldn't really notice until I start walking in front of them by blocking their path. I also feel that my legs get heavy and tired easy I dont really like long walks I always feel like I need to sit down. Im sure that learning to walk or have walking problems is part of dyspraxia. hope this helps :)
gothicsmurf
Getting settled in

Post by gothicsmurf »

Wow I get the same thing a lot when I'm walking. I get a terrible pain in my instep, which gradually travels up my calf and shin and I have to either stop walking for a few minutes or start walking really slow.

I never considered that it could be in someway linked the other difficulties I have/used to have. I always used to put it down to being unfit :S
RichardY487
Getting settled in

Post by RichardY487 »

I'm 19 and still don't walk heal to toe, I walk flat footed, the whole foot at once, with me feet outwards, a bit like a penguin, lol
pouvik
Regular Poster

Post by pouvik »

i find walking on my toes alot more comfortable than well normal walking. But then also have flat feet.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Hi there,
I tend to walk a bit like a penguin flat footed too, I tend to put it down to underactive vestibular (head position/gravity) sense apparantly a lot of vestibular sense is developed by spending time on your front crawling .... I bum shuffled then walked but all is not lost if you do any activities that involve being on your front doing activities now especially ones that are difficult at first you can improve this... it won't be as effective as SI therapy but unless these difficulties are a major hinderance to your life then the cost of SI therapy would probably be too high to consider anyway..... so until SI therapy is widely provided on the NHS or as part of health insurance self help may be the way to go.
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

I walk on my toes all the time, a few people have commented on it but do it so much now that I don't even notice
Saskiaedrienne
New member - welcome them!

Post by Saskiaedrienne »

When I first starting learning to walk I could only crawl backwards and then I began to shuffle forwards, at 19 I still can't walk that well, I am very flat footed and can't walk in a straight line I tend to walk diagonally or walk in front of people and end up tripping people up. I also get tired very easily and find it difficult to walk up hills or on any ground that's not flat pavement, Hopefully this helps :)
Beargle
New member - welcome them!

Post by Beargle »

I'm in my 30's and I still walk on my toes unconsciously when not wearing shoes. It just feels right.
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

i used to walk on my knees until around 3 but now i find i walk on my toes most of the time which i find more comfortable than using the whole of my foot but that could be due to my achilles tendon being over tight which is a pain as if i knock the middle of my calf it will hurt alot for around five minutes and feels alot like a cramping sensation.
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
chchchcherrybomb
Getting settled in

Post by chchchcherrybomb »

Omg I remember I used to toe walk all the time as a child! it was mostly when i was bear feet. I think it was a sensory thing because I did it mostly on the kitchen floor. It was too cold otherwise!