How do you describe Dyspraxia?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mcewan90
Getting settled in

How do you describe Dyspraxia?

Post by Mcewan90 »

when people ask you "what is dyspraxia?" what is the best way to describe it as many people don't know what it is?. Telling people that its a developmental coordination disorder doesn't always do the trick because its so much more than that and they still don't seem to understand. Whats a short and simple way of describing dyspraxia without calling it a learning disability. Could you say dyspraxia is like autism or compare it to something else that will make people understand?.

any advice would be great thanks
joy
Power poster

Re: How do you describe Dyspraxia?

Post by joy »

Were do you begin. Dyspraxia is such a complex condition affecting many areas as well as balance and co ordination,which also includes poor eye contact and listening and concentration skills.Hyper activity and impulsiveness ,fine motor dexterity which can make you fumbly awkward for doing everyday tasks and poor pencil grip.Which leads to poor formation and spacing of words and layout of work which leads to very limited to visual-spatial skills.Gross Motor skills were you have difficulty moving with speed and Agility when playing any sports games,Tight hamstring tendons which can lead to over stretching injuries during vigorous sports .Some people do overlap with Dyslexia and Autism as well although they are more well known. They keep changing the name for Dyspraxia and Developmental Co-ordination Disorder or DCD as it is now known.So its hardly surprising .I pre fare to keep it to myself unless its really necessary .If you had to tell everything that Dyspraxia involved you would need to walk around with a copy listing all the problems that occur.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It's pretty subjective and quite personalised dependent on how you are affected. I guess I ascribe to:

"Dyspraxia is generally recognised to be an impairment or immaturity of the organisation of movement. It is a brain based condition and may have associated problems with language, perception and thought."

Source http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/d ... ia_1.0.pdf

I prefer the term learning difference to learning disability. I can learn and adapt if given freedom to do it my way. I'm actually reasonably good with long term memory but I'm not a great fan of change unless I can maintain some personal control.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

I usually just say "It's a problem with co-ordination." I know it doesn't even begin to cover half the problems dyspraxia causes, but unless you've got time to go into greater detail... *shrugs*

It's surprising how many people accept it as an explanation as to why I don't drive/can't tie shoelaces (well, not so's they stay fastened anyway! :grin: )/can't do practical tasks etc.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Tom fod wrote:It's pretty subjective and quite personalised dependent on how you are affected.
I think that's spot on, and you've hit the nail bang on center on the head.

When someone asks me me "How I describe Dyspraxia" I'm always tempted reply "With great difficulty".
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: