Can video games help Dyspraxic difficulties?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

gothicsmurf
Getting settled in

Can video games help Dyspraxic difficulties?

Post by gothicsmurf »

I have just watched a video on youtube about how video games can help with certain medical conditions which cause difficulties with memory, planning and fine motor skills.

This got me thinking. I have played video games since I was 7 years old, and it would be great to think that one of my favourite hobbies, whilst not only keeping me entertained, was actually helping to improve the skills that I was having difficulties with when I was a kid.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOsqkQytHOs

Watch it and let me know what you think :)
LankyLady93
Getting settled in

Re: Can video games help Dyspraxic difficulties?

Post by LankyLady93 »

Sounds plausible. I'm sure it doesn't hurt! :)
I play this app game called 'Fishbowl Racer' which challenges my coordination, and it may even have sharpened my peripheral awareness. However, I never score very high. lol
pouvik
Regular Poster

Post by pouvik »

I think it depends on the game, personally I prefer to play games that are quite simple and allows me to kill Jedi are fun online I find coding helps me :)
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

I haven't look at the link yet, but did wonder myself if the strong reliance on timing that video games need (got to jump that ledge at that exact position, etc.) helps with timing in real life. Makes you not alert, to react quicker or something. Can't say for sure... but could help?!
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

I agree that some videos that may have a brain training that your memory ,maths ,and agility may improve with practise,but with action games that all depends on the individual .For a fast action shooter game were you have to focus quickly at all times can be quite stressful for some Dyspraxics.It all depends on eye movement , and perceptional difficulties you have.My tolerance is far less than my sons ,he can play for several hours without him being affected but myself half a hour of a fast moving game becomes It becomes more stressful and tense and I have to give up.So very much down to the tolerance and perceptional difficulties of each individual.
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

i find i can react better to things that happen in games e.g attacks by enemies than in real life so in a way gaming improves my hand to eye co-ordination
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
LGC2108
Regular Poster

Post by LGC2108 »

I am considering studying this subject as part of my university course, where I have to write a research paper, and found this article from 2013 that suggests the wii fit can indeed help with dyspraxia.

http://www.techandinnovationdaily.com/2 ... dyspraxia/

When I was younger, my parents got me the eye toy games to help with dyspraxia, and it's interesting to see how the technology has improved so much in recent years. Has anyone else found any games that help?
Engel
New member - welcome them!

Post by Engel »

Hello All,

My fine motor skills are terrible at the best of times, however it was suggested to me by the educational psychologist who assessed me that video games could aid in "fine tuning" these.

Must say wasn't much of an issue as I was already playing them :banana:. However finding the right game is sometimes hard. I find the skate series of games tends to help since its a spatial awareness thing as well as using the thumb sticks in different patterns etc.

I too have heard that eyetoy and wii games have helped many people in the past, never saw a massive leap in terms of my ability though, so I think the jury is still out on this one.

Maybe with future research things will improve?
Feel free to PM me! :grin: :grin: :grin: