Showing Facial Expressions

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

gothicsmurf
Getting settled in

Showing Facial Expressions

Post by gothicsmurf »

I have read a few websites which says Dyspraxics can have difficulty reading other people's facial expressions, but I was wondering if Dyspraxia could also affect a persons ability to show their emotions using facial expressions.

Having discussed my early development with my mum, she said that it was difficult for her to tell how I was feeling just by looking at my face, and that I was "good at hiding my emotions". She could only really tell if I was at the extremes of emotions, mostly because of my physical actions, such as hand flapping when excited, hand wringing when anxious, or tantrums when upset or frustrated. It was also mentioned in the report of my most recent psychological assessment.

Is this a common difficulty for Dyspraxics?
pouvik
Regular Poster

Re: Showing Facial Expressions

Post by pouvik »

whats funny is I have never thought about this till now, as far as I recall I personally have never had issues with this, spose I should ask my folks :/
Jim1983
Getting settled in

Post by Jim1983 »

For me, this is a definite. I have to consciously think of the facial expression I wish to make, it doesn't come intuitively. So, sometimes I just forget to smile, which gives the impression to people that I'm either aloof, unfriendly, stand offish or even angry. I've lost count of the number of times when people have insisted that I'm angry, and I've been puzzled as to why they think this because inside I was (until that point) feeling calm and happy, I was just blank and expressionless on the outside. It took a lot of reflecting to figure this out. I even had to ask friends if they needed to consciously consider their facial expressions as it's hard to know what normal is, as I've only existed within my own brain so to speak.
They told me that they only have to consciously think about their expressions when they are trying to hide their true emotions or faking an emotion to make someone feel more comfortable.
James91
New member - welcome them!

Post by James91 »

I have always had this problem, furthermore I can't judge body language too well in general. I find it hard to keep eye contact as well I often look just to the side of the person I'm talking too or look at other things.
AdiB47
Getting settled in

Post by AdiB47 »

I'm usually pretty good at reading other people's expressions but my 'resting' face is apparently interpreted as grumpy. I didn't believe it until I saw a video of myself playing drums at a concert, at which someone had apparently asked who the "angry-looking drummer" was. I did look pretty glum despite having a perfectly nice time. Same on the train when I catch a glimpse of myself in the window reflection. I was just thinking/concentrating. Not sure how much of a dyspraxia thing it is, though, as I've seen plenty of other people looking severe when they were just focusing or thinking deeply. The moment they are engaged in conversation they invariably spring to life!
Jim1983
Getting settled in

Post by Jim1983 »

Hmm, as you say... deep in thought, perhaps the extra time that dyspraxics spend in 'ponderous states' is a contributing factor.
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

Omg!! Seriously I never thought my difficulties with showing my feelings with my facial expressions were dyspraxic. Why didn't I think of this till now???

(I know I have difficulty because I am a teacher but I have had to practise my 'cross' face alot to even get near to what I want to convey.) wow you learn something new every day x