Newby

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

lauren21
New member - welcome them!

Newby

Post by lauren21 »

Where to start!
I'm 52 and started bouls with my husband a couple of weeks ago, I'm left handed but needed to bowl down the right hand side of the green mat,I couldn't do it I tied myself in knots and everybody else with me! this was not a new thing for me i have always had trouble with my left and right. This episode was so bad my husband decided to reasearch my problem and came across dyspraxia,he told me that i should read up on it as i had several of the symptoms.Which I did and then took the online test , the results came back as moderate symptoms. I can't believe the difference this has made to my life already discovering dyspraxia, my husband now understands me and I can laugh at myself now as i am starting to understand that I'm not stupid when i can't get my sentances out and can't understand why people especially my husband didn't understand me when it was perfectly clear to me. I have always flown off the handle at him in frustration to which he retaliated . I have always tripped over myself and it was a standing joke with my friends how i was always falling over! My life makes sense to me now and I already feel better about myself. My husband is a great support and is now able to tell me when I'm doing things in a strange way, i now take notice without getting angry and shouting at him and vice versa. it's very early days for me and i do feel anxious on occasions. I have never been on a forum before and its taken me a week to pluck up courage to come on here, i don't know how much i should write ?? Please can anyone give me some advice on where to start :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Newby

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Lauren

Welcome to the forums (or fora if you prefer). Glad to hear you are finding it easier to accept yourself now.

Please feel free to write as little or as much as you wish, whatever you feel comfortable with. Feel free to start new topics (inc ask questions) or contribute to existing ones that interest you.

There are some broad topic headings though sometimes items crossover. We moderators might choose, in some circumstances, to move a post and replies (collectively known as a thread) to a more appropriate topic.

There's a How To Guide "Dyspraxic Adults Forum Information' near the top of the Announcements and Information Topic or there's a link to it here. http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... hp?f=1&t=2.

Any questions please don't be afraid to ask.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

Welcome. I hope you find the forum as helpful as I did when I was first diagnosed. It's a great support and resource.
lauren21

Post by lauren21 »

Thank you for your welcome :)
Slinky Siren
Getting settled in

Post by Slinky Siren »

:) HI,
I too was diagnosed as Dyspraxic last year when I was 50. It all made sense but I was annoyed that its taken all these years for someone to help and diagnose me. I spent my childhood assuming I was thick as I couldn't always understand school - I never fitted in and was in the dunce class for Maths which has had a huge impact on my life. I was bullied and made to feel stupid all my life and to this day if I don't grasp things I feel the same. I'm not sure what has changed since my diagnosis but I guess I've learned to accept me for being me. I teach dancing (believe it or not) and am always getting my body parts mixed up and my words around the wrong way. My students (all adults) love this and think its part of who I am. I guess it is but its taken me ages to work that one out. My boyfriend was understanding when I first was diagnosed as I was going to go for an exam so this would allow me extra time. I failed the exam (second time) and it knocked my confidence big time. My boyfriend I don't think understands my condition but he's not brilliant with people who have any kind of disability so I wonder if this is why he finds me at times challenging. But that's his problem, not mine.
Anyway, welcome to the forum and glad you plucked up courage to write in.
lauren21

Post by lauren21 »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply, I'm lucky that my husband now understands me better , but he use to get very frustrated with me and couldn't understand why i was always walking into him and have difficulty handing him things and sentances not making sense to him. It's been so different for both of us now we know whats going on. i hope your boyfriend will be able to support you, try and get him to read up on the condition to help him understand.

Lauren :)
desertboy
Getting settled in

Post by desertboy »

I too was diagnosed quite late in life, but you seem to be making a far better go of things than me, so well-done. I still brood on this condition all too often, and sometimes wonder how much better things would have been without it or at least diagnosed earlier.
lauren21

Post by lauren21 »

I have always had problems nothing major but thought it was just the way I was. I think things seemed more noticable in the last 10 years, I went through a bad patch both at work and in my personal life and I also went through the menaporse , things then seemed to get more noticable don't know if trauma's/menapause can make this condition worse, but at least I know why i do the things i do and I'm really trying hard to question myself why I do and say things in a certain way for one instance.
I can now see confussion on peoples face when I have said someting that doesn't make sense so now I'm learning to say "that didn't make sense did it " and I try again. Before I use to get very angry and frustrated and shout a lot!!
take things a day at a time and learn to love and accept yourself, try to make little changes in your life to see if it helps .