organisation

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

rah
Power poster

organisation

Post by rah »

does anyone else have any problems with organisation?

my credit rating is appalling simply because i find it impossible to organise my finances! i've got different things to pay out to different places using different methods, and then i forget to do one or all of them! then i get threatening letters from the bank! i've tried really hard to be more organised but nothing that i do seems to work.

also, stuff like college work....it's all over the place! i guess i need to make a huge effort to work on my motivation so that i keep things organised rather than losing bits and pieces.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

As far as finances go, assuming you're not having to watch the pennies too closely each month, I'd recommend setting up direct debits for all your regular bills. The money will come out of your current account when it needs to, and all you have to do is keep an eye on the amounts occasionally to ensure everything is in order. I'd also recommend online banking as this makes paying for things and transferring money a doddle. I use this for paying off my credit card bill which I prefer to check before paying.

I am generally badly organised, which is a very typical dyspraxic trait. My room is a tip and there is at best only an anarchical order. I am trying to get things straight but I think this would only be possible using a large amount of categorised storage which I don't as yet possess. I'd say it's best to try to keep important things in order such as finances, and should you have the time and inclination you can try to tackle other things afterwards. The dyspraxic brain however is not attuned to this order malarkey, however, and trying to put things in order and keep them that way is very taxing I find.

Today I've bought a home file in which I can separate all the travel notes and material I brought back from my trip and keep track of what pieces of work I've submitted etc. It's especially important when there's money involved!
robyn

Post by robyn »

my organisation is so bad. I have planning deficts due to my disgraphia so I find it virtually impossible to think further ahead than the end of the week. def one of my worse problems
rah
Power poster

Post by rah »

some good tips there daniel, thanks :)

i recently changed to a bank where i now have internet banking and that helps a lot, i guess i should really set up some more direct debits so i don't need to worry about whether i've forgotten to pay something. it doesn't help, however, that i'm a bit of a shopaholic :blush:

my room is a terrible state and that isn't helped by the fact that i "hoard" things! i really don't like throwing things away just in case i need them at some point but i really don't have the space to be able to do that so i'm having to be really strict with myself and chuck things out. i'm having a big clear out at the moment.
GiantHam
Getting settled in

Post by GiantHam »

I also have a huge problem with organizing. I just cleaned out my place, it took three days and twenty solid hrs.

Also, if you are in college you might want to check with the learning support staff. Sometimes they offer help with organizing things, and keeping them origanized!
gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

Oh I've had that problem before, you swear you've paid off a store card only to find you didn't and you were thinking of the previous month instead ](*,). It's lead me and my mum into a fair few arguements, all I can do is make sure I have whatever I need to pay off on my person when I'm going to the univeristy chaplaincy centre, which has a student branch of my bank right next door to it. I find organisation of routine things to be not too difficult really, it's the novel things like project reports, essays and planning holidays abroad with only your best mate for company {I swear mum's just making it more difficult by not believing my friend is going to be able to make it and therefore not booking the flights we need}.

My room though, is an organised mess for the most part, I need to know where things are so I don't freak out about misplacing them.... yeah dyspraxia with some comorbid aspergers traits is so much fun during the bi-annual Bedroom Clear Out [/sarcasm].
rah
Power poster

Post by rah »

right....i've just gone out and bought boxes and files and notebooks and other bits and pieces in an attempt to get my life in order!

now i just need to sort out the things that have to go in them.... :-k