Built for speed?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

GWhizz
Regular Poster

Built for speed?

Post by GWhizz »

Hmm built for speed what could this be about?

Well when working away on chores I usually work at my own pace but at the run up to christmas I became more and more clumsy my mum wanted me to quicken up and I was making more and more mistakes which I am afraid to make. Mum was getting me more and more worked up and so I lost it in blind fury :*(

This got me to thinking are dyspraxics built for speed and as I wasn't good at running when younger I was helicopter legs at the side
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you - Gandalf
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

If it makes you feel any better, when I was younger (before I knew I had dyspraxia) my mum and dad always used to ask me to give presents to relatives on christmas visits and on christms day.... this works great, until you get the present almost to the door, and then drop it.... bad combination when it comes to a bottle on wine and it smashes! you can guess the rest....

I think dyspraxics can be speedy... I was lucky with sports at school used to love running and swimming used to run and do biathlon/triathlon at county standard and swum to international standard. But having said that it was the result of spending endless hours training...
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

I never realised dyspraxics could be good at sport until i came to this board! I always thought it was a paradox.

Yeah, ive always been a bit on the slow side... people always used to tell me "slow but steady wins the race" or the one i like "the race isnt always to the swift, but to those who keep on running". but to be honest, i never won any races 8-[

however, steve bradbury did.

check out this footage. http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/past/fa ... &OLGY=2002
click on "A MIRACULOUS VICTORY " very funny stuff!!!!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

"Normal refers to someone who hasn’t had enough tests!"
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I've never been built for speed in either thinking or moving. I can be sharp enough with a single conversation or task, but doing multiple jobs together simply muddles and stresses me.

It's nice to hear some on the forum can compete with sports, but as with jme I've never been one of them. I think my best effort came in the discus at school when I managed to come 'not last'. Third out of four. I was chuffed even if no-one else was.

Thanks for reminding me of the Steve Bradbury victory, jme, I thought that was great at the time and watching a clip of Roy and HG interviewing Steve about it was hilarious!
robyn

Post by robyn »

i do everything at a hundred miles an hour, prob cause of adhd
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I do everything fast, always have. I used to do my schoolwork so quick I got called speedy gonzales by my mates! I work at my job way too fast...I must get so much work done than other people 8-[
And I walk so fast that if someone is walking with me I have to force myself to slow down.
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

rah
Power poster

Post by rah »

i walk fast too and luckily so do most of my friends, as one of my pet hates is having to walk slower than normal!

i think that's the only thing that i do do fast though....i can't write fast (not for want of trying, my hand just won't do what i tell it to!) and i certainly can't think or react very fast.
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I think really fast, too fast, but I think that's the adhd in me also

gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

I'm not too bad with the whole speed thing I guess, I can walk pretty fast when navigating my way through a crowd {you can thank my mum fo that, you *have* to keep up with her if you don't want to get lost while doing the christmas shopping}. One thing I can't do all that quickly is lab work involving stuff like measuring or pippeting, my hands don't want to do what I tell them half the time and I forget how to hold the stupid things {which wil be incredibly useful for my project this coming semster since I need to use pippetes all the time [/sarcasm]}.
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I'm in the habit of walking everywhere quickly and hate having to move at a slower pace too :P I find it more tiring to walk at a slower pace, it's a constant concious effort not to accelerate off again. I blame my habit of making friends who live several miles away and deciding to walk, but moms a close second :P
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

Roy and HG are great. they were the highlight of the Sydney 2000 games :). that was them at their peak.

would you quick guys share some of your speed with me? ill trade some of my organisation skills... 8-[

robyn

Post by robyn »

If only!!!!
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

If u can drive jme I'll have some of your ability to drive skills in trade for some of my speed!

robyn

Post by robyn »

damn I wish I thought of that swap! If I could slow down and learn to drive life would be grand!
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

nope. no. no. no. [-X

my driving skills come at a wayyy higher value. It's more like a difficult-to-acquire super-power.

but i can make a new offer...

swap my driving skills for your ability to sleep (i am one hell of an insomniac!).

--------------
thought of the day... :-k
maybe im not slow after all - just everyone else is really, really, fast.