escalters

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Emm
New member - welcome them!

escalters

Post by Emm »

hi im Em im 23 years vie had dyspraixia and moderate learning difficulties since i was in play school/nursary age and also was told i had a high posabilty of dislexia during college i also have had a stammer from since i was little too.

escalater going down are the worse even tho the spped of how qwick is going is quite slow i still dont like putting my foot on i end up freeing then having goi and find a lift or go to the other end of the shop to find stairs even tho i no i proberly wont fall i just totally freeze going up im ok with along as im quick at getting on and not daydreaming. #-o

is thereanyone else like this?

my friends like to wind me up jokingly about it as i end up disappearing to find another way of getting down. :lol:
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Re: escalters

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Yup, I hate putting my feet on the first and last steps somehow always feels like the damn thing is going to grab me and try to swallow me !
I also find it disorienting when your standing dead still and moving anyway.
LGC2108
Regular Poster

Post by LGC2108 »

I have a lot of difficulty with "down" escalators as well, although I'm fine with "up" escalators.

Do you reckon this is a common difficulty for dyspraxics, having to coordinate putting one foot onto a moving platform, then take the other foot off the ground to place it on the escalator while the other foot is still moving with nothing to hold onto.

I think a lot of dyspraxics have difficulty standing on one leg, so it would make sense that this would be a common dyspraxia problem.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Yeah, escalators can be tricky.

The getting on it is the worst part.

But as I've found to my cost, a broken down and static escalator is just as bad, I managed to trip myself up at the top on one recently because despite my best efforts my co-ordination did not cope with the decreasing step heights at the top of the escalator (you know the mechanism that allows the steps to round the axis at each end), my toes clipped the edge of one step and over I went :blush:
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Yes, think most of us will agree that we have had fun with Escalators in out time, the trouble is now they switch them on to go super sonic as well, like one shop I know does, so it is just safer taking the escalator. and I also find that I am worse if I stop walking as well, and think about my timing for the first step, actually getting off them isn't so much of a problem, as long as not on super sonic speed.

the conveyer belt ones aren't so bad, apart from my balance when they change from going along, to up, and then from going up to going flat again. not such a good idea taking a shopping trolley on those, as push the trolley on wait 5 seconds, and then get on to it, as then can take the couple of steps, as trolley wheels lock on the conveyer belts in local Tesco's.
janetp
Getting settled in

Post by janetp »

Hi Emm, I am 59 years old and escalators haven't gotten any friendlier, weird isn't it how they can be so tricky, the going down is so strange I just don't quite know how to put one foot on and take the weight off the other one so of course I hesitate and that makes it worse and if I am not cautious I will trip. At least we provide entertainment for those more sure footed. I could watch them for correction if I weren't so busy manoeuvring my way safely around( I mean stop watching people).
richb2014
New member - welcome them!

Post by richb2014 »

You know, I never feel too bad on an escalators but I always panic if someones either too close behind me or too close in front of me. I'm not entirely sure why but I always get a bit worried I won't get off in time or they won't leave me long enough to get off. Strange, that!

Removed signature Shadwell
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

Also not very keen using esclaters, prefer the conveyer belt ones less chance of my tripping up. I am okay go on the up esclaters, it just going down sometimes.