Hearing everything all at once?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Square12
Getting settled in

Re: Hearing everything all at once?

Post by Square12 »

First thing I do when I enter a room is turn on the tv to create some auditory stimuli. But yes I have often been known to flit between conversations and have now got into the habit of saying hang on if I jump out of a conversation to add to another conversation. I think my brain constantly filters for interesting words, but not sure. However re the tv my housemate is extremely understanding and knows now that the reason I often have the tv quite loud is to focus only on that sound.
paulo
Getting settled in

Post by paulo »

Being in a room wiht many conversations going on used to be quite unplesant and would mean that i coouldnt focus on any one conversation made me seem quite antisocail.
however since ive been listening to binaural beats from youtube set on alpha wave. i can now focus in on any conversation in a room (this is known as the cocktail party effect) because binaural beats retrains your brain to be able to focus on the spatail awarness of sound. it's by no means a cure for dypraxia/ dyslexia but has been an amazing managing tool for living wiht it.
Valkyrie
New member - welcome them!

Post by Valkyrie »

I love this thread. It's so comforting. I find crowds so hard as I can't understand people. I’ll be sitting with friends at a pub table and can't hear what they’re saying. I feel so left out it hurts. It's a form of brain deafness for me.

I've just been in a meeting at work where we were patched through to our other site via a conference 'spider' phone. The man talked in short, rapid bursts and mumbled the end of his sentences. There was also static on the line. I can't understand fast speech as it's over before my brain can process it.

I also need good articulation to hear. I felt useless and isolated. I felt ill too which didn't help. After an hour of torture I retired to my office and sobbed. It was all so overwhelming. Most of my colleagues could understand him. I felt so alone. Reading this has helped the depression somewhat. Thank for bringing it up!

my hearing is painfully sensitive. I have to hold my ears when a noisy vehicle passes by in the street, not to mention an ambulance siren. Sounds just overwhelm me. I also hate radios in the office and just can't concentrate. It makes me so stressed my stomach hurts.

Alexxx

Edited by Shadwell for Alexx, as had problems Editing this.
Lotsofsounds

Post by Lotsofsounds »

Hello everybody,
:D

I can relate to this one...yes!

I love going to fun and lively pubs and indeed rock concerts. Think that was mentioned before...

Anyway,
Yes indeed. That fog of noise that makes you exhausted when going out on a Saturday night.
Then looking at people who seem so damn chilled and relaxed.

My head often goes left, up...left, right and so on. Where's that noise coming from? "I wasn't ignoring you pal...it's just that" and so on LOL :grin: :grin:

Owen
My signature is somewhat uninteresting.
But chat to me, you'll love me :)
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

I really understand that. I just can't concentrate on people if there are noises about. Especially if they're sudden. 8-[
Hannaha88

Post by Hannaha88 »

Hello everyone, I'm surfing the internet to see why I can hear everything around me all the time. Like right now I'm in bed, but can't sleep because I can hear the crickets chirping outside even though my husband is snoring and my fan keeps knocking three clicks every 10 seconds. My kids wake up in the morning and are all asking for different things and I feel as though I have a hang over when they're talking to me. I work in a call center and if I'm in the middle of a conversation with a member and someone starts talking behind me it's as if I have everyone on a conference call and I get extremely frustrated trying to focus back in on the original conversation. Usually I can change my focus between conversations, but when I have a conversation already started it's as if I have no control and I am stuck listening to everyone. I also get annoyed by certain sounds, chewing while breathing really gets to me as does the sound of a Game controller. I play video games allot, and when I'm playing I don't really notice the sound because I'm focusing on my game, but if I'm not playing, every click of a toggle or press of a button makes me want to throw the controller. I have absolutely no idea why I can hear everything the way I can. It has only been getting worse. I started noticing it around January or February this year. I always had great hearing, my husband always laughs when he says something under his breath and I jump on him because I heard him. Earlier this year though, I started noticing that when I heard a noise or someone would speak to me it seemed like I was hearing an echo, if that makes sense. It would give me severe headaches, I would have to turn the volume down on my headset at work and if someone called me while I was driving and my cars Bluetooth picked up omg I was going to drive straight into a tree. Does anyone know what is going on with me? I can't seem to find anything that doesn't point towards tumors. Thank you in advance!
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I have a great deal of difficulty organizing and processing multiple stimuli; therefore, I hear the words and the noise but I cannot process or make sense of it. Historically, I just get bits and pieces and pretend to have understood the rest because asking to have it repeated is to no avail.
SarahTheScout
Getting settled in

Post by SarahTheScout »

Uh... So I totally thought I was weird and different when I can't follow a conversation when everyone is talking at the same time. Or when I'm trying to say something and someone else starts talking, so I just shut up and try to start the same sentence until I can't even remember what it was. Or when I'm in a busy place and I can't think any more and so just shut down. It all makes sense now. It also makes sense after what someone put about being able to hear and follow several conversations at once. I was a flute teacher, teaching small groups, and if 2 kids were playing different things, I could listen to them both at once.
Susan69
Getting settled in

Post by Susan69 »

wow that explains mine too though I was diagnosed with Autism so we always thought my hypersensitive hearing and aversion to sounds etc was due to that.

Do you find it gets better or worse as you get older or do you seem to go through periods where your symptoms seem more obvious after previously improving?

infact a teacher told my parents once she thought I was hearing problems as I really struggled to follow what she was saying especially if she turned to write on the blackboard, she'd look back and I'd be reading or copying the person's work next to me to try and understand and keep up! I failed the first hearing test they did just person talking behind me asking me to point in a book to what they were talking about but could hear all the sounds in a pure tone audiogram ok. I also struggled to seperate sounds, like in toilets at school I couldn't seperate hand dryer form toilet flushing and when someone would come through the door it made me jump as the noise of door opening had been totally masked by the other sounds. yet in music (I played organ) I had absolute pitch and could tell them what any note they pressed was! even what notes were in a chord without watching them play it. I copied music from tv themes on my child's keyboard long before I could actually read music, just by ear. This was attributed to the autism though.