dyspraxia sleeping problem/fears...

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

gothicsmurf
Getting settled in

Re: dyspraxia sleeping problem/fears...

Post by gothicsmurf »

It has always taken me ages to get to sleep at night. When I was younger I would still be awake upto 3 hours after my mum put me to bed, then struggle to get up in the morning for school. I developed a habit of listening to my radio in bed because I was so bored from lying awake for hours.

Even now, my typical sleep time is somewhere between 3:30am and 4:30am, and I wake up late morning/early afternoon
Mcewan90
Getting settled in

Post by Mcewan90 »

I have been to the doctors many times about my sleeping, its not the sleeping that's the problem its the time it takes me to get to sleep sometimes i dont fall asleep till about 4am then back up at 6 for work. Feel like a zombie all day then I will go to my bed later that night and the same thing will happen again which is bizarre. :rolleyes:
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

You become fearful and dreading when you go to bed because you think the same thing is going to happen to and you always get more of what you focus on.The unconscious mind is monitoring everything you think so when you focus on images of staying awake the unconscious mind takes it as a command and helps you do more of it. It what they call a negative feedback loop.There are some good relaxation tapes out there.you tube have quite a few videos on what they call tapping for anxiety/sleep.You feel stupid at first because you have to repeat the things out loud as well as tapping on the pressure points but some of them are not bad once you get used to them,Might be worth giving them a try.
Mark_1987
Getting settled in

Post by Mark_1987 »

i had the same sleeping fears as you have now. it started very suddenly. i went to my bed as always and had bad night. Nothing to worry about, since ive had bad nights before and the next night i would sleep just fine. but this was different. the next 8 weeks were horror. i would sleep2 to 4 4 hours a night.

for me it helps alot to go to bed when im feeling sleepy, could be at 10:30 but some nights thats 12:30. and relax if you can not sleep, then just lie on your bed like your lying on the couch watch tv. do not force anything. sleep is something you cannot force. it has to happen automaticly.
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

it takes me ages to get to sleep. i also find it hard to sleep und er light weight sheets, i need some weight on me to sleep otherwise the sheet ends up on the floor and i toss and turn.