Feet Problems & Dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

thedarkrose
New member - welcome them!

Feet Problems & Dyspraxia

Post by thedarkrose »

Hi all

I have not been on here in a very long time & thought it would be the best place to get some information. Do a lot of people with dyspraxia suffer with feet problems? My partner had physio when he was younger because of tight Achilles tendon and still occasionally walks on his tip toes even now. In the last 2 weeks he has been in a lot of pain. We thought it was the achilles tightening up again and have been to the doctors twice but finally got a proper diagnosis today. He has Plantar Fasciitis. Has anyone else had this or have this?
Jim
Super poster

Re: Feet Problems & Dyspraxia

Post by Jim »

I haven't heard of it.

Dyspraxia can be relate with difficulties with muscles and nerves etc however I wouldn't have thought it would be the root cause of a condition like that. It certianly wouldn't help but I think there would be other factors to it as well.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
thedarkrose

Post by thedarkrose »

Jim wrote:I haven't heard of it.

Dyspraxia can be relate with difficulties with muscles and nerves etc however I wouldn't have thought it would be the root cause of a condition like that. It certianly wouldn't help but I think there would be other factors to it as well.
I just wondered if problems with the feet occur often really. Sometimes I find it really hard to get any info on Dyspraxia...frustrating really! The doctors frustrate me the most. I know he has more than just Dyspraxia but I feel like I'm constantly fighting to try and find out what! I asked the GP this morning about him seeing an occupational therapist which she is going to refer him to. Not sure though if that will help :S
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Indeed. GPs can really be useless. I've had constant problems with my neck and shoulder for a couple of years. The GP surgery have been useless and don't take me seriously. Private physio/massage therapy helps a little but is expensive and hasn't got to the root of the problem.

I had to go back to the doctor, only again to not be believed, told to go for x-ray which ofcourse showed nothing. So eventually I had to do my own research find an associated medication, write it down and say look.. I want this.

And when I told them about dyspraxia it was clear they had hardly ever heard about it.

It's not very confidence inspiring when you feel better informed than the doctor is it?

Muscular and co-ordination problems can definitely be related to a persons dyspraxic symptoms, if only as an agrevating factor.

My advice to you is to do as much research as you can and take it to the doctors and therapists, it at least shows that you are serious.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

thedarkrose wrote:Hi all

I have not been on here in a very long time & thought it would be the best place to get some information. Do a lot of people with dyspraxia suffer with feet problems? My partner had physio when he was younger because of tight Achilles tendon and still occasionally walks on his tip toes even now. In the last 2 weeks he has been in a lot of pain. We thought it was the achilles tightening up again and have been to the doctors twice but finally got a proper diagnosis today. He has Plantar Fasciitis. Has anyone else had this or have this?
I havent heard about this digignosis at all, what is it?

I am sure there is some king of a link between dyspraxicia and feet as they can be affected by poor posture and walking styles - both of which are verry commen for dyspraxicis. I have had feet problems before and also the way my foot touches the gound when I walk its verry heal heavy and slighty roled from what I can gather from experance of how I walk and problems I had / have with shoe heals giving in and slopeing inwards.

I do also have / had a high arch not enough to cause problems but notisable given the right situation and shoe etc - my mum has sufferd from it more though and its in the family so mabie its genetic not dyspraxic related.
The real Mr Potato Head
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

I have had it, but only because I was walking for miles in very unsuiable shoes. I don't think it is dyspraxia related.
tillydog
Getting settled in

Post by tillydog »

I have feet problems! Dont know if it's Dyspraxia related or not tho.
My feet 'turn outwards' and I tend to walk on the side of my feet. I'm also shockingly 'knock knee'd'!! My hamstrings are also really tight because they're shorter than they should be!!
My feet, legs, hands and arms were actually diagnosed as being 'Congenital Defects' because they're all smaller/shorter than they should be.
I dont know tho if they're linked to the Dyspraxia thing tho!!
Stef

Post by Stef »

I've wondered this as well - I walked on tip toes until I was 13. Have very bad arches and a lot of pain if I jump or have any sudden impact on the bottom of my feet. No P.E. for me #-o My dad is dyspraxic/dyslexic and has planar fasciitis. Weird!
alice3rd
Getting settled in

Post by alice3rd »

I Walked on my tip toes all through my childhood and still do a bit now !
I have awfull posture and have also had to have Physio ! Xx
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

sorry I know this is an old post, I used to have and still some times get terribly painful feet if i walk too far, the distance does vary quite a lot, standing around is the worst, if i can i have to sit down while everyone else is standing.