Destressing techniques

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Destressing techniques

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi all,

My dissertation is in in just over 6 weeks Im behind on it and starting to stress quite badly, which becoming something of a problem because its really disrupting my sleep patterns which in turn means I cant concentrate in the day which means I don’t get much done which only makes the problem worse its a big vicious circle.
I know this can be a big problem for us dyspraxics (just read the post on sleeplessness and I can relate to much of it) so I thought Id ask what works for you peeps?
Im starting to get very frustrated because I know if I could just get I decent nights sleep I could make some real progress but all I can think about is the work and how the clock is ticking. ](*,) .
Catwoman42
Power poster

Re: Destressing techniques

Post by Catwoman42 »

There are guided meditations on amazon and youtube (free!) which can help with bad anxiety. I have done a couple at a class I go to and have found them very helpful. For sleep recommend chamomile tea. i didn't know dyspraxics were prone to anxiety? Good luck.
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

Aaaah school.... so glad thats all behind me. When I got stressed about coursework or an exam and couldn't sleep, I'd go do the revision/work whatever time it was- I mean if its stressing me, and I can't sleep anyway, why not, right?

Either it'd bore me to sleep, or I'd achieve something and thus my anxiety would be relieved.
Socially awkward penguin
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I can't really realte to sleep issues much it has happend to me but the thing is I find that I have the oppersit issue of getting tired and going to sleep too quickly. :P

Have you tryed remedies such as talking a bath with lavander and other oils etc, using sleeping aids such as rescue remedy night spray or possablie sleeping pils if things get desprate.

Yes dyspraxics are prone to axainty and its a mental helth issue (as well as others) related to dyspraxicia. I have / had major axianty issues and that has been really deblating.
The real Mr Potato Head
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice peeps, I have been given an extension on my work (didn't even know I was eligable ) so I am now a little less stressed and sleeping a bit better (well about as well as I ever do any how), I hate anxity and pressure some people seem to feed of them but I jus think they stink!
I can't really realte to sleep issues much it has happend to me but the thing is I find that I have the oppersit issue of getting tired and going to sleep too quickly
If only there was some way we could meet in the middle, id kill to be able to do that :) .
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

HI

one stressedout day at UNi a nice counsellor I went to see about exam stress taught me the following technique - tap gently and repeatedly with the tips of your index and middle fingers of both hands on your pressurepoints - start at the top of your head, move to your cheek bones - then your chin, your collar bones then the base of each thimb....weird but it really works - thanks for reminding me of this one - I'm tapping in between typing!