Dyspraxia and Orgasmic Happiness

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Dyspraxia and Orgasmic Happiness

Post by Magic_Lemur »

The only topic I seem to get regular emails on is 'Dyspraxia & Depression'. Though this does need to be shared and discussed, I thought we should start a positive version to balance things out.

To kick off discussions, I thought I'd list 10 things (IMHO) that make being Dyspraxic great:

1. Sense of Humour - If you're Dyspraxic, by the time you're 30 you should have a better-than-average sense of humour (because mistakes are often best alleviated with humour). Laughing at yourself is an important thing in life and our natural creativity allows us to see humour everywhere. :lol:
2. Creativity - Probably our greatest blessing. Our natural chaos means we do things differently every time so, where we have been down thousands of pathways in a lifetime, people without Dyspraxia have not.
3. Writing ability - I'm always astounded by how many writers were Dyspraxic - George Orwell, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Richard Benson (Journalist), G.K. Chesterton, Jack Kerouac, Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte, etc.
4. Memory - I have a Dyspraxic friend in politics who can remember obscure political knowledge like no-one else I know. Whether this is autism, I don't know, I just know that Dyspraxics are ravenous for facts.
5. Intelligence - I've yet to meet a stupid Dyspraxic. Most of us are made intelligent by having to be normal, and the mental effort this requires. It's like we live in two worlds, everyone else lives in one.
6. Filing - A bit of an odd one this, but found out that our strategies for mitigating inner chaos make us far more organised than the average Joe/ Jill. We are better at establishing systems of order as we appreciate their value more. Oh, and finally found a use for this smiley: :boxedin:
7. Humility - It's hard to be arrogant as a Dyspraxic as, so often, the condition is invisibly crippling. However, this means we value others more than the self.
8. Thicker skin - Clumsy mistakes often annoy people but, once you get used to them, you have a permanently thicker skin, which enables you to be tougher in the good times.
9. The way we move, sing and live - Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZhN65vq9E&ob=av2n (which is insanely popular for a cover version). What makes her way of moving/ singing so different and yet so appealing? Dyspraxia!
10. Sex - You knew this one was coming! ;) Because we get bored easily with the same-old, same-old, we experiment more with love making and, coupled with selflessness, this hopefully makes us better lovers. Normal people make for boring lovers. But Dyspraxics? Wow! \:D/

Anyway, hope this list cheers some of you up on a dark day and that it isn't too much my own thoughts. What does everyone else think? Why is Dyspraxia a gift to you?
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia and Orgasmic Happiness

Post by Tom fod »

Thanks Magic Lemur

Really liked this. Yeah life can be a drag with dyspraxia but we are unique and great people to have as friends.

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Dyspraxia and Orgasmic Happiness

Post by Tim G »

thanks for the upbeat topic - it is needed.

I don't think all of what you have said is the same with me (we are all diffrent) but hear are a fue things I have found:
- I am a caring person and will often go the extra mile for people as I feel its nessary.
- I am a verry hard and focused worker - if somthing needs doing i am verry much single minded about it - dyspraxicis can only realy focus on one thing at a time so this can be a benerfit when a job needs doing.
The real Mr Potato Head