Lateness - How do you cope?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stocks81979
New member - welcome them!

Lateness - How do you cope?

Post by Stocks81979 »

I am looking for a strategy that can stop my dyspraxia causing me to be constantly late. I try so hard and get so stressed out each and everytime. For years before knowing I was dyspraxic I tried things like getting up 2 even3 hours before I am suppose to be somewhere. Preparing everything the night before. But yet I virtually never make it. 1in every 1000 I seem to be on time well ridiculously early and some one will ask me if I have wet the bed (or similar).

I try so hard, I get upset and stressed out each and everytime at myself and at everything around me I want to be able to say that caused it but I cant I have no idea how I seem to loose time. I can hard 30 minnutes to put on my shoes and then it seems like 5 minutes have passed and I have lost 45minutes and no idea where.

Any tips/ideas gratefully received on how you cope with this problem, because as you will know it is extreamly unpopular.
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Lateness - How do you cope?

Post by Tim G »

I have the same issue too - not being aware of time (or anything else for that matter) and am often late for things
my tips would be:
- Get up verry early and if you get there early then good, just find things to pass the time with.
- Set alarms on your phone about 2 for every event at diffrent times so you know that you have to be there soon.
- Use the clander on your phone and your phone as your memory so there is less chance of forgeting things.
- Have a watch on you.

I am not saying that doing all or one of thies things will change everything - I can take all the precautions and it still goes wrong but I hope thies can help.
The real Mr Potato Head
meow
Regular Poster

Post by meow »

I get so stressed out with time. I am never late.. I'm actually always stupidly early. For example, I was always an hour early, maybe more for where I used to work. It's horrible and I wish I didn't have to stress about it.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I tend to set my clocks and everything 10 minutes early, but shame I can't do the same with the PC :( so it allows me a few minutes when leaving to dive back out of the car to pickup the things I forgotten first time around. then not so much of a mad rush at minus time. and keeping an eye on the time if I know I got to be somewhere. plus setting verious alarms around the place to warn me I got to be somewhere in the next hour.

my main concern is the fact that anything less than 2-3 hours of waking up, then I am not safe doing anything like driving. so I always set my alarm to go off at least 3 hours before I need to be somewhere to make sure I am awake.