I had a breakthrough!

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Starduster
Getting settled in

I had a breakthrough!

Post by Starduster »

I hope it lasts.
I'm new on here. I'm studying Architecture and Planning and have failed the Design Studio twice! Everyone's been saying or not verbalizing their opinions that I should go and do something else, but I've been stubborn and I'm still on the course.

My difficulty is with drawing. I didn't know how much difficulty I had till I started learning this course. I've tried learning but nothing is really happened and good drawers just say practice if you complain. I've been really desperate and trying to figure out how to learn. It's

This post is not entirely about uni which is why I've put in here.
Anyway, there's not a lot of research about drawing and teaching people how to draw, most drawing books and classes I've come across assume a lot of stuff about drawing and basically those who learn are those who can think like the people teaching to draw. So I've been doing tons of research. Drawing is not just practice. I've discovered that there are different ways the brain processes drawing. There's writing and simple patterns in one part, and drawing from memory and still life in another part of the brain. I've seen books that say if you can write you can draw, which is not necessarily true, they are processed differently in the brain. The books and teachers are just focusing on hand movement.

Anyway, I have anxiety and ADHD as well. And about a month ago, I had my medication changed, I'm now on Dexedrine and Lyrica (pregabalin). I looked into Lyrica and was surprised to discover it's used as an anti-convulsant, ie for epilepsy. At higher doses, it's also used for fibromyalgia. Dexedrine has improved my working memory. I'm not so happy about the focusing and concentration but it has definitely improved my working memory. I guess there needs to be more tweaking of my dosage.

I've always had problems swallowing. I think this is a combination of anxiety and dyspraxia's muscle problem. I had gotten used to it. If it got really bad, I had difficulty swallowing water and it hurt to swallow. I had difficulty swallowing pills especially those big Omegas. I noticed I wasn't having this difficulty anymore or not as much. I was able to swallow a handful of pills at once including Fish Oil capsules! Amazing.
I discovered it was the Lyrica doing this. I found some other people joyfully exclaiming about problems swallowing been eased on some forums.
It seems to have something to do with GABA. Anxiety disorders apparently have an imbalance of GABA and pregabalin helps with that.

Anyway, I thought the fibromyalgia connection was interesting and wonder if dyspraxia has some kind of relation, not necessarily directly but with fibromyalgia there are problems with the nerves, muscle weakness, tendons. Dyspraxia also has muscle issues.

About 3 months ago, I got a prescription for glasses which I was astonished by as I've never had glasses. The optometrist explained my sight was fine but my eye muscles were working too hard to focus and were tense so I was getting lots of headaches studying.
A month ago, I now realize it's related to the pregabalin, I noticed my eye muscles could lose focus much easier. I started freaking out and wondered if my eyesight was going bad. I guess the pregabalin was loosening the eye muscles as well.

Back to drawing, it's always been difficult for me not to see everything in my line of vision. I have difficulty breaking things down into shapes and stuff and seeing outlines. I see every detail. In my drawing class, I even smudged a pair of very lightly coloured sunglasses with grease so outlines would be blurry because my eyes wouldn't do it. Now I'm not having such difficulty, I can go in and out of focus much easier which has really helped with my drawing. I can see blobs of shadow now, I can break down an image.

This is only my theory.
If anyone has done photography,
you have pictures where the near objects are in focus but the distance is blurry.
Then you have pictures where the far objects are in focus but the near objects are blurry
Then you have pictures where everything(most things) is in focus and the lens is set to infinity and you have a greater range of everything in focus, near and far. That's what my eyesight has been doing and one of the major reasons I think I was having difficulty drawing.

I know you have to break things down to draw but I couldn't with my eyes, and was taking the long way around and drawing gave me headaches literally.

I just drew my hand easily. It's not great but it looks like a drawing of a hand, and not the distinctive flat childish drawings I've been doing.

In summary:
Pregabalin has helped with some muscle problems I've been having, swallowing and eyesight. It's also helped with random aches and tension I had bodywise and also with fatigue. The aches weren't very specific, they were more general, it's eased that a lot and now I realise how much I had gotten used to it to feeling discomfort in my body all the time.
With melatonin, I'm sleeping much better and deeper than before.

My anxiety has been reduced, my dyspraxia made me anxious in situations like getting on the bus, my hands will shake, I will fumble for coins and be a bit slow. I met my now ex boyfriend because as I was talking to him, I spilt cider on him because I was using one of this plastic pint cups that are very squashy and I put too much pressure and the cider jumped out of the cup and spilt on him. (He laughed and thought it was because I was nervous around him. NO! Bloody dyspraxia! he wouldnt believe me. whatever.) That sort of stuff is still happening but I don't care. I'm like meh and move on. What a relief!!!
Dexedrine has improved my working memory and slightly helped my inattention problems though I notice my hyperctivity seems a bit more noticeable.

I hope the effects of the pregabalin and dexedrine continue.
Osymandus
Power poster

Re: I had a breakthrough!

Post by Osymandus »

I do use Piracteam which helps with brian communication (do become mildy irritated on it ).
mooseman
New member - welcome them!

Post by mooseman »

Osymandus wrote:I do use Piracteam which helps with brian communication (do become mildy irritated on it ).
how much piracetam do u take?
and for how long have u been taking it
does it help with muscle tone?
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

It dosnt help with muscle tone persay . As your body and brain becomes better at using Glucose and more efficient at oxygen usage it can improve excessive . Its main beneifit i found was improved short term memory and better brain hempishere communication (you also think clearer) . I took started with 800mg about twice a day , then at times topped up to 1.6 Grms twice a day . I havnt taken it in the last 2 weeks and you do notice a differnce . However dosage is individual as is if it will affect you . The only known side affect is slight irritablity or insomnia (this again is individual many people don't get it ) . It has no toxic side affects at all .

It is legal to buy but must be bought in for personal usage its a prescription drug in the UK sadly not for Dyspraxia but alcoholics (you wont be-able to drink much when using it )

If anyone wants a link to a good supplier let me know .
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

hi
thanks for the prompt reply

well i my problem these days is weakness (hypotonia) and bumping into stuff
i am on Piracetam, Vitamin E , Omega 3 & 6
is there anything anyone can recommend for this
thanks

moose-man
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

mooseman wrote:hi
thanks for the prompt reply

well i my problem these days is weakness (hypotonia) and bumping into stuff
i am on Piracetam, Vitamin E , Omega 3 & 6
is there anything anyone can recommend for this
thanks

moose-man
I think you have most things covered there . I was looking at adding more Omega 3 and 6 to my diet . You might want to concider doing yoga for improving core muscle tone anyway . RTemeber these things your taking optomise what you already have . How much Piracteam do you take ?
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

hi
i take about 1600mg of piracetam, but i just started, i might go up or down
depending on how it feels
the problem is some periods (months) i am almost ok (mind & body)
then my body goes
then my mind goes
then it starts coming back on its own
and then the cycle repeats its self
its frustrating
really

have u tried any anti motion sickness medicine; it seems to help,
do u have dyslexia along with dyspraxia (because i do)

read this

Letter to the Lancet — August 7, 1998

Dear Gentlemen

I read with great interest Rae, et al.'s study in The Lancet entitled, "Metabolic abnormalities in developmental dyslexia detected by 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy."

This interest is based on my research highlighting the cerebellar-vestibular origin, diagnosis and treatment of dyslexia — a project encompassing over 30,000 patients over the past 30 years. To my dismay, I came across content in the above paper which by error: (i) failed to properly reference my research while quoting it, and (ii) referenced authors having nothing or very little to do with the content discussed.

Thus, for example, on page 1852, Rae, et al. state:

"Dyslexic people are often uncoordinated with poor balance and delayed motor milestones such as crawling, walking, and learning to ride a bike (10,22). Antimotion sickness medications, which may be considered Åcerebellar-vestibular stabilizers, have been shown to improve reading performance in dyslexia (23). The present study has shown significant metabolic abnormalities in the cerebellum in dyslexia."
As a review of my dyslexia-related papers indicate, the role of antimotion sickness medications and the term "cerebellar-vestibular stabilizers" are all basic to my research, as is emphasis of poor balance/coordination/rhythm and timing in this disorder. As a result, I redefined the dyslexia syndrome as a cerebellar-vestibular determined spatial-temporal sensory-motor dysfunction in dynamic equilibrium with compensating mechanisms.

By contrast, all the referenced papers noted within the above quoted content by Rae, et al. have either nothing to do with the paragraph's content or are significantly based on my research. Thus, for example, even their reference (#23) to Wilsher, et al.'s study on Piracetam and dyslexia never links this drug to the cerebellar-vestibular stabilizing properties. This linkage was recognized and described by me in a paper entitled, "Dramatic favorable responses of dyslexics to Antimotion sickness medications — four case reports." Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1991; 73:723-38.

In as much as the value of Rae, et al.'s data would be significantly enhanced by including the proper and accurate references to my cerebellar-vestibular research, and as this error casts significant but undeserved doubt on both the paper's content and the objectivity of the Lancet's reviewers, I would greatly appreciate a printed correction within one of the Lancet's next issues.

Sincerely,

Harold N. Levinson, M.D.

P.S. I would greatly appreciate your forwarding these comments to Rae and colleagues. I am delighted by their research and believe that a joint discourse of our respective findings and data will be truly rewarding for all.
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

is there any hope for us?
because i am getting fed up
really.................................
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

WEll there's lots of hope , its what makes you feel better and individually helps . mooseman . There isn't a cure becuase its not a sickness ;)

Interestingly i never suffered from motion sickness (or seasickness eitehr it really has to be north sea force 7+ where sailors are retching to get me going) Piracteam helps us to think and organize our thoughts , but i very much dobt it will be a massive cure all simply because our issue come from the construction of our brains (some brilliant research by Dr Alexander J Richardson on this trans fats in Omega3 and 6 which you already take). Yes im Dyslexic as well
however i think im a lucky one in i have high Verbal IQ and can read to a professional level ;) . I know what yo mean though im volunteering with the Dyspraxia foundation at the mo with the Adult advice line and there really isnt a lot out there , research has been going on for years but it appears there seems to be a lack of making our conditions more visible for a reason simply can't work out .

Mooseman i would recommend you maybe talk to some Councillor (this can be done via your GP ) say its affecting your day to day life which it is . The drugs may help but there will be underlying issues you may want looked it .

YOu can also call (as can anyone ) the Adult advice line Wednesdays 10am-5pm 01268 785838
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

well i dont have acess to any counsellor here in INDIA
well thanks any way dude
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

does any one have this acetone smell come from their sweat?
sweet but mousy?
mooseman

Re: I had a breakthrough! check this out DUDE

Post by mooseman »

Listening, The Ear and Development: The Work of Dr. Alfred A. Tomatis

by Don Campbell

During the last half of the twentieth century, Alfred A. Tomatis, a French M.D., researcher and philosopher, defined the ear as a primary organ for multiple physical, emotional and neurological development responses. Not only is the ear and its complex ability to send information to the brain and the body primary for hearing and sound perception, it establishes balance and equilibrium. It is also primary for the development of verticality, spatiality, laterality and language development.
Tomatis's innovative research is based on the ear's ability to discriminate between sounds it selects to hear and the ability to tune out sounds that are unwanted. The ear's ability to listen and focus, select sounds spatially and regulate auditory information as it is perceived by the brain, has become the theme in over a hundred centers worldwide dedicated to assist children and adults with speech and communication disorders, attention deficit disorders, head injuries, and autism.

The listening process beings in utero when the fetus becomes aware of sound and frequencies in the liquid world of the heartbeat, breath and sound of the mother's voice. In La Nuit Uterine (Edition Stock, Paris, 1980), Tomatis explores in depth clinical observations on the state of intrauterine listening. He defines the phylogenetic and ontogenetic progression of the ear and its neurological implications for the development of language.

Dr. Tomatis proved that the voice can reflect the state of the ear's ability to hear, a phenomenon know as the Tomatis Effect. When the perception of midrange and high frequencies is missing in the prenatal and the first three years of life, difficulties in listening and learning often arise. Without any obvious traces in deafness, a deficient ability to hear frequencies below 1000Hz can cause difficulty in understanding and remembering spoken information. A listening test for each ear was developed by Dr. Tomatis to show specific areas where frequency deficiencies occur. Defective variations in frequencies between 1000Hz and 2000Hz make it difficult to sing in tune. When there are difficulties above 2000Hz, the voice will be dull and not expressive.

Generally, a healthy adult can hear up to the 20,000Hz range, giving a bright and clear ability to distinguish sounds. When there is a loss in the high frequencies, it is necessary to strain. The ability to focus upon and select sounds or voices in a noisy room is one of the primary challenges of those with listening disabilities.

The following chart created by Timothy Gilmore from the "Overview of the Tomatis Method" by Gilmore, Madaule, and Thompson, 1989) shows the essential role of the ear.

&
What is the Irlen Method?

The Irlen Method has been used for over 25 years to identify and help people with a type of processing problem called Irlen Syndrome, formerly known as Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome (SSS). Irlen Syndrome is not an optical problem. It is a problem with the brain's ability to process visual information. This problem tends to run in families and is not currently identified by other standardized educational or medical tests.

Irlen Syndrome can affect many different areas, including:

Academic and work performance
Behavior
Attention
Ability to sit still
Concentration
This problem can manifest itself differently for each individual. This problem is not remediable and is often a lifetime barrier to learning and performance. If you suffer from any of the following, Irlen Syndrome might be your problem:

Print looks different
Environment looks different
Slow or inefficient reading
Poor comprehension
Eye strain
Fatigue
Headaches
Difficulty with math computation
Difficulty copying
Difficulty reading music
Poor sports performance
Poor depth-perception
Low motivation
Low self-esteem
Symptoms of Irlen Syndrome
Light Sensitivity

Bothered by glare, fluorescent lights, bright lights, sunlight and sometimes lights at night
Some individuals experience physical symptoms and feel tired, sleepy, dizzy, anxious, or irritable. Others experience headaches, mood changes, restlessness or have difficulty staying focused, especially with bright or fluorescent lights.
Read more about light sensitivity and the Irlen Method >>

Reading Problems

Poor comprehension
Misreads words
Problems tracking from line to line
Reads in dim light
Skips words or lines
Reads slowly or hesitantly
Takes breaks
Loses place
Avoids reading
Discomfort

Strain and fatigue
Tired or sleepy
Headaches or nausea
Fidgety or restless
Eyes that hurt or become watery
Attention and Concentration Problems

Problems with concentration when reading and doing academic tasks
Often people can appear to have other conditions, such as attention deficit disorder, and are given medication unnecessarily.
Writing Problems:

Trouble copying
Unequal spacing
Unequal letter size
Writing up or downhill
Inconsistent spelling
Other Characteristics:

Strain or fatigue from computer use
Difficulty reading music
Sloppy, careless math errors
Misaligned numbers in columns
Ineffective use of study time
Lack of motivation
Grades do not reflect the amount of effort
Depth Perception:

Clumsiness
Difficulty catching balls
Difficutly judging distances
Additional caution necessary while driving
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Ah sorry Bro our reach donst yet stretch as far as India ;).

Interesting article the last one however Dyspraxia is caused by the underdevelopment of the part of the brain that receives and processes sensory information the Thalimus so , as proven unless deaf people (from birth ) already have learning difficulties they tend not to have recessed learning .

So this articulre helps affirm that (all sensory input visual , audio , touch etc)
Dyspraxic mac

Post by Dyspraxic mac »

mooseman wrote:does any one have this acetone smell come from their sweat?
sweet but mousy?

Yes i do i thought i was the only one it gets even worse when im stressed id love to know what it is
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

New one on me. According to my quick web search (CAUTION) the nearest I could find is Acetone breath, which is apparently a possible indicator for diabetes. Have just refined my search and acetone smell can present in perspiration too.

I think this a question you need to ask your GP.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)