fatigue

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

fiona.d
New member - welcome them!

fatigue

Post by fiona.d »

I'm extremely debilitated because my energy levels are very low most of the time. Does anyone else suffer from the same problem?
Creative
Super poster

Re: fatigue

Post by Creative »

I get tired some of the time. Dyspraxia makes things that other people find easy very tiring. If you can break tasks into stages and have a break in betweeen. Have rests when you need them if possible and don't feel bad about it. You're not lazy you're dyspraxic!
brian
Getting settled in

Post by brian »

I suffered nasty fatigue during my second english paper which is a massive paper and the most important paper of my whole exams. I had break times and I was able to get through the exams. I then found I got fatigued in the next afternoon exam I had. Then it was time to get chocolate bars to add to my energy levels and them combined with fresh air made the situation better and they worked well.
fiona.d

Post by fiona.d »

Thanks creative and Brian for your helpful replies.
The fatigue I experience has gradually worsened throughout my life,starting after sitting my GCE's when I was 16.I am 54 now and 7years ago I had to give up working completly. I
It is so complicated and last year I was referred to a chronic fatigue service and because I have dyspraxia they couldn't diagnose chronic fatigue syndrome but thought I have chronic fatigue due to the enormous effort it takes to coordinate all movement.I often don't feel tired I just haven'tgot the energy or ability to carry out tasks.I don't know if I have two seperate conditions or if it is all dyspraxia.I wonder if anyone else has symtoms like it.I am seeing an OT and physio at a joint visit next week and it would be really helpful to know if others are affected in a similar way.I live alone and am now finding day to day living very difficult due to the fatigue and am on a waiting list to be assessed for help with shopping/housework etc.
By the way how do you get the smilies onto this page?!!!!!! I can't work it out!....
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

My GP thought I had chronic fatigue syndrome but it turns out that I have an intolerance to dairy products.
fiona.d

Post by fiona.d »

Thanks Creative for your interest, it helps to know you're not alone :D
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

it's mainly because i don't sleep well at night and also my brain is awake somehow it never shuts itself off. So I have rest in between larger activities
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
Zanja

Post by Zanja »

](*,) ](*,) I have been suffering with chronic fatigue since approaching menopause. This came about after years of burning the candle at both ends, working long hours wit lots of travelling for years, and being a single mum. That and tryin to keep everything organised when I'm naturally disorganised. I just crashed and burned? Was also having aches and pains all over, hot flushes, mood swings depression and all the worst menopausal symptoms. I started taking HRT which helped with some of the symptoms, but not the fatigue. I've had to reduce my working hours significantly, and moved out of the city to somewhere much cheaper with no mortgage now to reduce my outgoings and scale down. I now find that for every two active days, whether work, leisure activity or housework, even if not really physically active, that I have to have one day of total rest, where I can barely get out of bed. I thought it might be intolerances - I know that gluten for example makes me worse, but even avoiding gluten I still suffer extreme fatigue. I'm vegan, so it's not a dairy intolerance. If I go to the gym I get a kind of hangover from it where I'm exhausted for a few days. I've just had to come to terms with it and learn to pace myself and accept that I need to rest a lot, and that gym is out, and to hope it doesn't get any worse, but that if I look after myself hopefully it will get better. I just do a bit of yoga, walk and swim a little bit now. It's hard because I used to be a very active person, and now can't do half the things I used to. I don't think this is just dyspraxia, I think it is chronic fatigue syndrome. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if dyspraxic dare more prone to it, due to the extra effort it takes to do everything. So if we live active lives we are perhaps more likely to wear ourselves out and suffer the consequences ](*,)
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

I know what your feeling well some( the active and brake down part of fatigue) I was very active and still try to be, Sept anxiety and depression got a hold of me, now these two are slowly coming down , but I still feel as if there is one more that needs to calm down; which is my dysprexia, cuz it got hyped up cuz of the two new evil friends. I don't know how long it will take,when I feel some what active with out forcing myself to be.
But here are couple things you might consider that will equal the gym, it's simular to yoga also- tei chi is a very mind over relaxing meditation stances that will help to restore energy that is blocked in your body. Overtime one can feel more on ease, start to feel flow of energy release from the blockage in innerself. The trick is that u need to be in the mood u can not force, cuz it will not allow you to open up one's chi (flow of energy)
if you like yoga you will like tie chi perhaps, if u can do both that's a bonus and all power to u .
Plus it's effortless practises, well remembering stances and movement but no strain on body , just Glides and body movements( really relaxing and peaceful )
Best luck to you
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Me too! I really struggle with fatigue. It seems to be worse since 2011. I’m now 32 so have this feeling I just need to rest and pace myself.... even though often I can only get to school for my masters 3 days a week without crashing.

](*,) It is super frustrating! The foggy brain feeling is the worst symptom for me.... makes it very hard to function and do the things I enjoy.
brutaldjc
Getting settled in

Post by brutaldjc »

Same here :(
AdiB47
Getting settled in

Post by AdiB47 »

Yes, fatigue is also a big issue for me. I have had to get increasingly smart about dealing with it (although this is still a work in progress). I try to use power naps straight after work (although in reality they are up to an hour) to try and shake off the sleepiness so that I can still be productive during the daytime and then get to bed earlier (because I haven't been up too late, fuelled desperately with caffeine) trying to finish things. I'm also learning to get more used to accepting that I can't do everything and being less fussed if a job doesn't get done because I'm exhausted. As I said, though, all easier said than done!
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Yes this sounds like the story of my life!

I am getting better at acceptance, and telling myself I did the best I could. But it is hard when sometimes I have to congratulate myself for not doing very much at all!

I think it’s also difficult as people think I’m not motivated or lazy (sometimes even myself!) and it’s tricky to know when to push (and hope this leads to getting into it) and when to relax. It’s sort of an invisible struggle for people to see as I seem like a good student, bright and competent; people hardly believe that I have dyspraxia or dyslexia.

People seem to also think it’s not a big deal as I manage not to fail my classes, but the reality is I would like to do better than just scraping by. And it would be nice to feel like I’m not treading water all the time.

It’s nice to have somewhere to rant about it!

:bike: Not a relevant emoji.... but I liked it....
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

yes, I have that exact same problem. I can't blame it on my age, because I've always been this way. They say exercise boosts your energy levels but I'm too tired to exercise.