Dyspraxia and the Media

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

maria
Regular Poster

Dyspraxia and the Media

Post by maria »

Wasn't sure where to post this so began a new topic. :) I'm pretty new to the concept of dyspraxia, being 55 :Eek: and never officially diagnosed, never even consulted my GP about it. But since reading about it on the web I now realise me, one sister and one brother (large family, other siblings non-dyspraxic) are all mildly dyspraxic as was my late Mum. Anyway, I mentioned it to three work colleagues a while back but got the usual disbelief and flippant "oh, everyone's like that sometimes.." and "but you're perfectly normal" etc.

Then yesterday one of those same colleagues said "I was thinking about you last night. I watched a TV programme about two kids who had dyspraxia and it was explaining how they had trouble catching in games. Was that how you were in school too?"

We went on to have a lovely REFRESHING (because a non-dyspraxic person actually believes it exists!) conversation about how it impacted on my life in certain ways even tho my dyspraxia is only mild - for instance, I notice how many times I drop/bump into things but because it's not severe hardly anyone else ever notices. Unfortunately, our conversation was fairly brief as the phone interrupted and then there were work queries to deal with but the great news is that, thanks to the power of the media, knowledge about dyspraxia seems to be slowly seeping through to the general public. :D :D :D
Daniel
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia and the Media

Post by Daniel »

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the forum! Great to know you're not alone isn't it?

Dan