just wondering if anyone was simular,

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

majinjoebob
New member - welcome them!

just wondering if anyone was simular,

Post by majinjoebob »

Im in the US, New York, State, not city. I was born in Yonkers,now upstate near Albany. My mother thought there was something wrong with me when I was young, like not speaking "on Time" and when I did start to speak it was a "like a Grown up baby talk" as my mom says, for instince I was calling my bro "Heab", his name is Angelo,

Anyway she brought me to different docs, they all said it was all in her head and to just give me more time, with persistence I got my diagnosis at age 5 and right a way got into physical therapy, and stayed in speech therapy for about 3-4 yrs, my mom was actually told I was cured, "for the most part".

all throu out this experience I got regular hearing tests becuse it was hard to understand what people where saying sometimes, (not untill about a week ago I learned about auditory perception "from this forum, thank you" and not being able to focuse on the words people say, making it hard to understand, Im now 21yrs btw) my last hearing test was when I was 17 to humor my mother, I hate them,

I'm ridiculously clumsy, I cant spell with out spell check, have horable hand writing, and I suck at all thing sports, among a vast aray of other things,

as Im just beging to learn about my dysability, now Im wondering why I wasnt givin more information on it when I was younger? basicly all the resurch and knowlage about dyspraxia is in the UK, Ive never met anyone else with dyspraxia, I constanly felt like an out sider in everything,

In the US Dyspraxia is almost invisible no one knows what it is, when I tell docters they even ask me what it is, and not having a compleat idea I tell them "like dyslexia, but with your whole body, expecialy with my voice." everyone knows what Dyslexia is, most people think I'm making it up when I tell them,

most of my problems, as Im finding out are linked to dyspraxia, as I learn about my disability (This forum is a major help ) the problems and worries are melting away,

I ramble I know, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, especially those of you in the US?