Triggers

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

cpr02
Regular Poster

Triggers

Post by cpr02 »

I wonderd if anyone has identified any situations which could aggrivate your dyspraxia for example for me I know that sometimes when I'm tired, stressed or worried about something my dyspraxia can become more obvious and more difficult to manage e.g. I become clumsy, more easily distracted, find it difficult to concentrate and in general just feel less confident in what i'm doing ](*,)

What I'm wondering is ! does anyone have any strategies that they use that could help in this situation ?? \:D/

Thanks x :D
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Re: Triggers

Post by sheppeyescapee »

When I'm stressed or during sensory overload :-$ I find that I'm more clumsy then and my fine motor skills go out of the window (recently when I was away at a conference I couldn't eat my evening meal because I couldn't cut my food :-s )
I am J, 24, husband, student, diagnosed AS and Dyspraxia.
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Learning a new motor skill. Oooh that's hard. I was accompannying a primary school class on a field trip to a chruch for Easter ( #-o ) and my table were tasked with tying wicker crosses, which meant overlapping this material tying round itself and forming a knot - and I just COULDN'T do it. I don;t know about you but I tend to be pretty dextrous at the things I've practised (I learnt to twirl a pen through my fingers for a hobby, I could do it blindfolded now) but the step up to there is HUGE. trial and error with more error and lots of trial...

More generally, alcohol I've noticed is a big thing. I stopping drinking about seven years ago but still have the odd beer or whatever and I notice the degradation in my co-ordination almost immediately, it's lurking beneath the surface. I'm sure most people aren't as clumsy as I am after one pint.

That, and being ill. when I'm generally not with it with colds or fevers and what have you, I'll be bouncing off door frames like there's no tomorrow.

Pressure will do it. My written legibility breaks down under pressure. my writing is cognitive not automatic so loss of focus impacts directly on how clearly I form letters.

Stress and sensory overload, check those too.

Yeah, I'm just a big bundle of bumble. :bike:
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
Calitxu
Getting settled in

Post by Calitxu »

I suffer from OCD as a result (I think!) of my dyspraxia. When I'm stressed, my hearing becomes much more sensitive, as does my sense of touch. As such times, I can't stand things feeling "unbalanced" - if something cold unexpectedly touches my right arm, I have to touch my left arm in the same place with something cold (and that has the same overall feel). That happens all the time but much more when I'm stressed. I also seem to become a lot clumsier, as I do when I'm tired.
Does anyone else suffer from OCD?
sanabituranima
Getting settled in

Post by sanabituranima »

http://web.syr.edu/~thefci/1-4dra.htm This website explans how stress impairs motor skills.