school teams/sports days

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alex
Power poster

school teams/sports days

Post by Alex »

school teams and sports days where a nightmare for me at secdenary school never got picked for anything because of me dyspraxia and they never gave me a chance i also never got picked for sports days even though now i run like Forest Gump but i tried to apply for schools football team and tried really hard and the guy said that i wasnt good enough which really upset me anyone else have this problem?
Creative
Super poster

Re: school teams/sports days

Post by Creative »

I hated PE and I'm especially bad at football. I do enjoy badminton, though I'm not that good.
When I did swimming lessons with the school they moved me down a group because I couldn't swim fast enough and that upset me.
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

yeah that was exactly the same for me i spoke to the teacher and said look iam finding this to hard and she ignored me i hated dressing myself after PE cant do a tie that well i can tie shoe laces cant tie boot laces but can do up buttons on a shirt
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I'm glad I will never have to do PE ever again! I hated getting changed and it took me ages.
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

the most embarassing thing was i always got shouted at for being late back from PE because i stuggled getting changed i even had my helper help me get dressed a few times i couldnt do my tie or button up my shirt did you have Ocupational Theropy at school?
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I had Occupatinal therapy when I was very young and I can't remember it, or what they helped me with. I did have some more when I left college when I was 21. One of the OT's was great and she taught me how to tie my hair back and how to put on jewellery. The other one helped me with some cooking and ironing but she watched me all the time and never reassured me that I was doing ok and had done something right. I was relived when she stopped comming.
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

my OT helped me to keep by balance properly and taught me how to tie my shoe lases and do a tie and do up the buttons on a shirt i hated gymnastics the only thing i could do was a forward role i cant ballace very well on a beem type thing did you go and speak to those conexions people?
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Yes I have a Connextions Adviser. I can see her until I'm 25 because of my dyspraxia. I am 25 next month so I wont be able to see her much longer. She is a real support to me and I shall miss her when I'm no longer able to see her.
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

I had a conexions adviousor to i couldnt stand her coz i really wanted to do a public services course at guildford college and she kept saying no and then i got into the public services course and came out top student and was the 3rd best runner in the whole class
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I didn't like my first Connextions Adviser much. She didn't understand my difficulties and kept trying to push me into doing things I didn't want to do. She left and I got a new one when I was 21, shortly before I left college.
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

i didnt like any of mine she wanted me to do this course like you somthing i really wasnt interested in she never listened and she was always negative used to upset me
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

Creative wrote:I hated PE and I'm especially bad at football. I do enjoy badminton, though I'm not that good.
When I did swimming lessons with the school they moved me down a group because I couldn't swim fast enough and that upset me.
Same here, Creative. I hated football and basketball but badmination was the only one I liked and could get a few points in. What upsets me with PE is PE teachers haven't got a clue what Dyspraxia is and never helped which over the years, just made me build this ball of hatred for them. I really wish PE teachers were trained into to spotted and dealing with Dyspraxia.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

I aggree but my PE teachers knew what i had and helped me but i never got picked for school teams because everyone thought i was rubbish and never gave me a chance I do think teachers are trained but like you say not with dyspraxic students which i find differcalt to believe because i think there must be at least 2 childeren in every school in the UK thats dyspraxic
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

When I was in year 8 one of my PE teachers was quite understanding about my difficulties. She got a sixth form student to help me with badminton. This was helpful but my classmates didn't understand why I needed special help and it made me seem different.
I'm bad at team games and can't work out what I should be doing. I am also very bad at kicking balls. They never go very far and they don't usually go where I want them to.
Alex
Power poster

Post by Alex »

I had a PE teacher like you help me with my badmintin i also had a special saw to help me cut wood in constuction i hated graphics i got taken out of that along with german and latain