Fish oil and gluten free diets?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

tatt
New member - welcome them!

Fish oil and gluten free diets?

Post by tatt »

Hi - I'm new and the parent of a teenager who does not want to admit to being dyspraxic. They have a mild version that is not currently causing problems at school, only socially. Hope it's OK for me to ask for advice.

Madeleine Portwood suggests that a fish oil supplement will help and possibly a gluten and casein free diet. I've had my teen on fish oil for years and there was a significant improvement when they started, either by coincidence or because of the fish oil. I eat a gluten free idet myself because if I eat gluten I am exhausted - and depressed by my lack of energy - all the time. However my teen refuses to try it. So - to get to the point - has anyone here tried either or both and if so did you find they helped?

Moderator Note
This was posted back in 2008
We will respond to enquiries from parents, guardians partners etc but first and foremost we're a Forum for Dyspraxic Adults. We'd rather not see posts that talk about us in terms of 'how to deal with us'. As a moderator I feel uneasy about this because I don't believe the poster has enough evidence to compel her teenager to eat a specific diet. I'm also suspicious that this post is, perhaps unintentionally, fishing for 'evidence' to support imposition of a specific diet/lifestyle contrary to the wishes of that person.
Creative
Super poster

Re: Fish oil and gluten free diets?

Post by Creative »

I take fish oils and they help me. Before I took them my moods were very up and down and they became much more stable when I started taking fish oils. I think it has made my co-ordination a little better.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

tatt wrote: So - to get to the point - has anyone here tried either or both (fish oils or gluten free) and if so did you find they helped?
I've been using fish oils for a while. I have also stepped up my intake of oily fish. I really don't know about dyspraxic symptoms but the increased Omega 3 intake has certainly improved my skin and seems to also help to reduce ear wax build-up.

Due to pre-diabetes, I have very recently switched to a low carb high fat diet. This is even stricter than gluten free in that no grains at all are allowed.

My stomach tends to get angry if given wheat products and they also make me feel drowsy. All in all, I hope my new diet helps my dyspraxic symptoms as well as my blood sugar.
Hedgepig
New member - welcome them!

Post by Hedgepig »

No idea about fish oil, but I'm both mildly dyspraxic and gf, and I can't say I've ever particularly noticed a decrease in my dyspraxic tendencies. Certainly not enough to justify the difficulties of sticking to a gf diet. Also, if the problems are social, a restrictive diet will only increase likelihood of isolation by others. I hate being the awkward one in the group foodwise
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It does make me wander about the relationship between dyspraxia, stress and intolerances. There are often co-occurring conditions.

A non dyspraxic friend of mine who has some food intolerance issues went to a group who were pushing the idea that it was all in the mind and stress and fear of the offending foodstuffs was the issue, not the foodstuffs themselves. This caused my friend to relax self enforced food rules which resulted in my friends stomach misbehaving badly and understandably causing them a lot of additional stress and worry.

Since social interaction often revolves around food and drink added to the fact that some people display a lack of understanding towards others choices perhaps branding them faddy it introduces additional mines to this social minefield.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

I have backpedalled on this subject in the last few months.

I read a few months back in an alternative health care book that fish oil intake is associated with development of diabetes. My high intake of fish oil may have been the reason for the prediabetes that I had a while back. Since coming off them, my pre-dibatic symptoms have cleared up.

Therefore, it could be that we need to be careful in using fish oils as a tretament for dyspraxia.

However, I would say that it's still important to eat some fish or plant sources of Omega 3 oils to balance the body's system. It's just that fish oils seem to be too concentrated and possibly too much of a good thing.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a health expert. This is just stuff based on my own reading and personal experiences. Both health professionals and lay people are free to contradict me. :)