Dyspraxia And Anxiety

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

reyes
Getting settled in

Dyspraxia And Anxiety

Post by reyes » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 am

So, I understand that anxiety is very characteristic of dyspraxics. I've gotten some useful advice about CBT and mindfulness to address anxiety. I'm just trying to understand more about this. Is the etiology of the anxiety purely neurological, or is it also because we've had so many bad experiences related to things we have difficulty with? Is it something that should be addressed pharmacologically? I ask because I've heard that some professionals think it should be. I'm just wondering how other people handle it

Xenavire
Getting settled in

Re: Dyspraxia And Anxiety

Post by Xenavire » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:17 pm

When I was suffering from depression, I needed a combination of medication and therapy before I started to recover. Every person is different, and Dyspraxia affects us all differently as well, so if you think you need help, I'd advise covering all your bases if possible.

It's the safest and generally most practical route, in my opinion.

reyes
Getting settled in

Post by reyes » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. If I ever feel depressed I'll consider that. The post was about dyspraxia and anxiety.

Xenavire
Getting settled in

Post by Xenavire » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:29 pm

I think I wasn't entirely clear - I was suffering from anxiety because of my depression. If you aren't depressed, then I suppose I don't have any advice that would help, I sort of assumed they went hand in hand most of the time for us.

Not that I don't avoid things from time to time because of bad experiences, but any anxiety I have now is minimal compared to when I was depressed. I wish you luck with finding more specific and relevant answers.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:17 pm

I def can't claim to be an expert but if I understand correctly, Depression is considered a more pervasive state? You can be anxious too and if anxiety is not processed you can become depressed.

However, the terminology people choose and their interpretation can blur the lines and you can be anxious about being depressed and/or depressed about/as a result of prolonged feelings of anxiety?

Happy to be corrected here!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

michael
Getting settled in

Post by michael » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Xenevire,
Thanks I appreciate the clarification. It's something to consider. And Tom yes, if one is pervasively anxious for a prolonged period of time, it can result in depression. You are both correct in my opinion.