Doctor Who

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

cricketman123
Getting settled in

Doctor Who

Post by cricketman123 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Hiya, I've just seen the new episode of Doctor Who, There is someone with dyspraxia on it!!! :grin:

So happy, i think its going to be great to have more awareness :)

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 pm

Yes cricketman123 - please see this post - we might be able to help the awareness spreading!

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=6&t=6353

Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Just watched it now on iplayer. It’s the first time I’ve Watched Doctor Who in a while as I stopped watching after they killed off Clara Oswald. I don’t know why but I simply got bored with Capradi’s doctor.

I quite enjoyed the new one, she may be first female Doctor, but she was instantly recognisable as the charismatically manic, slightly chaotic but ultimately brilliant doctor we all known throughout its generations.

It’s kind of neat that they’ve chosen to portray a companion as dyspraxic. I hope they develop his character into something more than a chap who basically falls off a bike though. But at least they got the dogged frustrated, never give up determination of a dyspraxic well portrayed.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:

Jim1983
Getting settled in

Post by Jim1983 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:36 am

It's been really interesting how there's been a spate of articles relating to dyspraxia in the mainstream media this week; all because of Doctor Who. Interestingly, I recently applied for transport assistance from access to work and was given a rather flat (and frankly unsympathetic) 'no'. Yet, yesterday, without prompting the DWP got back to me and sent me a form to give to my GP to sign (if approved I can get transport assistance), First dyspraxic TV character, sudden unexpected reversal of a DWP decision, all in the same week; coincidence?

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Absolutely amazing, thanks for telling us , please chive Dyspraxia Foundation a ring, they are collecting such reports.

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:57 pm

saw the posting and followed Dr. Kirby however was unable to view any part of the episode. curious to know how the character had been portrayed.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:08 am

I cannot help sorry, there are many references in various dyspraxia related Facebook Websites from the UK.

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 am

I think it was really great that the show went as far as they had to promote an introduction to dyspraxia, especially considering the nature of the show which is for entertainment, not education.