A teaching dyspraxic

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Teach
New member - welcome them!

A teaching dyspraxic

Post by Teach »

Hey there all. I'm a teacher and have been for quite some time. I discovered I had dyspraxia as an adult while working with an ed phyc.
I'm struggling with my own sense of failure about my ability to do things like learn the piano and stay organised as a mother. I have been struggling with my jaw clenching and grinding for my entire life, (not sure of that's dyspraxia). But it's got so bad recently.

My dyspraxia is essentially the balance (glass sided escalators anyone?) And organisation and retaining information given to me verbally.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: A teaching dyspraxic

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

It's rather a nebulous condition and it can be hard to separate what is symptomatic or simply our response to the stress it causes us.

It often affects working memory/organisation of thought as well as sequencing of fine and/or gross motor control and sense of balance and proprioception.

I find I stress a lot of getting things perfect, which I'd categorise as an unsustainable coping strategy to try to make sure people can't find fault. Problem is, whilst they may not, I certainly would!

I have ground my teeth in past but currently i'm fortunate to be on a relatively even keel for me.

Hope forums help but do look.out www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
HannahSarah
New member - welcome them!

Post by HannahSarah »

Hi

I’m doing a PGCE Secondary after a career teaching in FE. I’ve only just been diagnosed too, and understand the frustrations that you have and share the same sort of experiences.

Would you declare Dyspraxia on a job application? I’m a bit scared to in case it effects my chances.

Hannah.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I also have difficulty retaining information or tasks (especially when I am given too much in a short period.) A trick I use is setting myself alarms for basic day-to-day things, freeing up my "memory" for other things (it's not foolproof sadly, but I manage better than I used to.)

I debated with the idea of becoming a teacher (I'd be a moderately decent English teacher by default), but Dyspraxia was certainly one of many things that I had to consider. In the end I decided against it. My advice, beyond my tip about alarms, would be to try to emphasise your strengths. You may not be skilled behind the piano, but unless you are a music teacher, you don't need to be an expert. There is sure to be plenty you are good at, so take pride in those things.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

HannahSarah wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:38 am Hi

I’m doing a PGCE Secondary after a career teaching in FE. I’ve only just been diagnosed too, and understand the frustrations that you have and share the same sort of experiences.

Would you declare Dyspraxia on a job application? I’m a bit scared to in case it effects my chances.

Hannah.
Disclosure is always a bit of a 'chicken and egg nightmare'. I think you need to be able to be quite self assured and able to convince an employer, that whilst you have a neurodiverse condition/cognitive difference, that you are competent and have transferable skills including a unique approach to problem solving.

I went for internal promotion where I work and declared and sought advance sight of interview questions as a reasonable adjustment at interview stage. If declaring/disclosing, an employer has to have good reason to treat you less favourably, however we do have to demonstrate how we meet the requirements of the post we're applying for.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)