Hello

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

musicdad
New member - welcome them!

Hello

Post by musicdad »

My name is Andy, I am a 41 year old dad. I have recently found out that I have dyspraxia, slow processing and some ‘slight features of dyslexia’.

My wife had suspected dyspraxia for as long as she had known me, I wasn’t too open to thinking about it until recently, until our daughter’s autism spectrum diagnosis opened my mind and made me look at my own history and experience.

I’d say my dyspraxia is not severe; I’ve just muddled along and covered it up for years, but I’ve recently taken on a demanding management role, and the cracks are starting to show. I am lucky because I work at a University, so I had easy access to an assessment from an educational psychologist, and I decided to refer myself. I know that for many adults, it is very difficult to be taken seriously about these things, so I know I am fortunate.

Although I have not yet disclosed my assessment outcome to my employer, I think I need to. Again I am fortunate because Universities tend to be fairly inclusive working environments so I think I can hope for quite a high level of understanding.

I have some specific issues/questions to ask in the general forum, but just wanted to say hi here.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: Hello

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Greetings in reply - I am sorry that you had no replies, if you write again I shall aim to attempt to comment.

I discovered I was dyspraxic about twenty years ago and initially suspected it after my daughter had an assessment.

I hope things are working out well at work. Being a trades union memeber was useful top me when eventually I needed tio sort out work related problems after they built up over many years.