New to this group - hello!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kbskylady
New member - welcome them!

New to this group - hello!

Post by kbskylady »

My name's Sky and I am new here. Hello! I've just been screened for Dyspraxia and the result was as I expected - I'm definitely affected by this condition. Currently seeking official diagnosis but it seems likely from all I've been told that, as an older adult, I may find my GP won't refer me. If anyone else here was officially diagnosed as an adult I'd be interested to hear how easy/difficult you found the process. I also have Asperger Syndrome, diagnosed 4 years ago, so life's been a bit of a struggle not knowing why I find it difficult or impossible to do certain things, or cope with certain situations. I've muddled through and am still here so that's something but it's been and continues to be a difficult journey. I'm most affected by short term memory problems, organisational stuff, trips and falls/banging into things, concentration on basic tasks and typing - it takes ages to write anything because I hit all the wrong keys and have to check over and over before sending. I'm told all the aforementioned are typical signs of Dyspraxia. I also suffer pain, especially in my hands, which I think is probably related to being Dyspraxic. It's good to find a forum specifically for adults. I hope to learn a lot by being here. :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: New to this group - hello!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Sky and welcome

I fear that you won't get any more support or understanding if you manage to obtain a Dyspraxia diagnosis, though having confirmation/vindication is important in accepting and moving forwards. Whilst people with Dyspraxia do suffer pain from inter-related and cooccurring conditions it is something you need to tell your doctor about as there may be other causes.

If you aren't already aware Pete at Dyspraxia and Life magazine is actively trying to work with the Dyspraxia Foundation to increase awareness and access to diagnosis for people held back by having this condition.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
musicdad
New member - welcome them!

Re: New to this group - hello!

Post by musicdad »

Hello Sky

I have just registered with this group as well and just found out I have dyspraxia. Seeking a diagnosis was easy for me (but not an easy decision to go through with) as I work at a University and have access to the additional learning support team.

I realise I am very lucky to have access to this, and I really hope that your GP will listen and refer you. If it is want you want and you don’t succeed at first, try not to give up. I wish you the courage to stand up for yourself and make your voice heard.

I am interested to know if you are employed and if so, how your dyspraxia affects you at work. That is one situation where a formal diagnosis could be helpful.

Andy