Dyspraxia doesn't define me but it does affect me....

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheDoubtingThomas
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia doesn't define me but it does affect me....

Post by TheDoubtingThomas »

Hi all, first time poster.

Dyspraxia has been a part of my life since I can recall. I'm 29 years old now with an 8 year old step-daughter and a 2 year old daughter. I want to teach them a little bit (the older one especially) about Dyspraxia but it's knowing how to do so.

I have had a stammer since I can remember and it has its good days and bad days; at this moment in time I work in an office environment and I'm generally pretty happy to get up in front of people and present but I am petrified at speaking to people on the phone in case there's confrontation. Does anyone else have this? As soon as the conversation becomes difficult, the conversation literally becomes difficult and I get into a situation where I'm stumbling all over the place.

DCD has a massive impact too. I was always decent at sports for example, however everyday tasks are extremely difficult. I don't drive, don't ride a bike, I have trouble tying my laces or dressing the kids, there are lots of things that are not deemed to be "things" however to me they are extremely difficult.

I have recently been on a course to become a Mental Health First Aider through my employers and I want to raise awareness of the strains on someone's mental health that Dyspraxia undoubtedly has. After a dark couple of years down to other things, DCD has become more and more prominent and I really feel like I'm struggling.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia doesn't define me but it does affect me....

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome and sorry for delay in response.

We tend to view DCD and Dyspraxia as interchangeable terms for same condition. I'm guessing your stammer is perhaps a consequence of verbal dyspraxia? (there does seem to be some differentiation in some quarters where as Verbal Dyspraxia is seen as separate to the physical and cognitive impact). You mention you have some difficulty with fine/gross motor control and sequencing/planning and execution of tasks. If it's any consolation, I don't drive either and it can be awkward as some people struggle to comprehend how people can live without driving. (we just do)

I find difficult telephone conversations difficult sometimes but I am possibly over-confident, verging on rude sometimes and not in the mood to take any *&%t from customers and have been reminded of this, Despite a shared condition we are rarely alike! I think it is sensible to say it is relative, what may be horribly stressful for one person, on one day, can be a breeze to another. It is not right to judge or compare ourselves to others, though it is v difficult not to. The impact Dyspraxia/DCD has on us psychologically is sadly not appreciated nearly enough and often we suffer and may torture ourselves too.

I seem to remember the Dyspraxia Foundation (DF) were singing praises of a book which iirc was entitled: Charlie Why are you so Clumsy, which might work for your younger daughter.

Also if you haven't already please check out http://www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Re: Dyspraxia doesn't define me but it does affect me....

Post by Jim »

Hi and welcome.

Awareness of dyspraxia amongst the wider general public tends to be on the low side.

It’s inevitable that people can be dismissive of the ‘small’ things which we may struggle with that they’d possibly take for granted without much thought.

It can get depressing.

As frustrating as it is though, it’s important to remember that to a large extent that we simply can’t help it.

I’ve had some very low and dark times in my life, which my dyspraxia although not the ultimate cause of did seem happy to shove me further down those holes.

Somehow (i’m not entirely sure how) I climbed out of those holes. For me things got better. I’m still the same old dyspraxic me but I grew to accept my dyspraxia as part of me. It’s always there.. poking it’s nose in but I don’t let it have the final say.

It doesn’t really prevent me from doing anything anymore. It may well divert me to the scenic route but I choose to enjoy the view to spite it.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: