Hello

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Annievh
New member - welcome them!

Hello

Post by Annievh »

I am new to this forum. I am 58 years old and have never been formally diagnosed with dyspraxia but recognised myself instantly when I first came across a description of the condition a few years ago. I was slow to walk, took years to learn to ride a bike and swim as a child, even walking and running seemed hard and exhausting. PE at school was always a nightmare (PE teachers were very unkind in the 1960s and 1970s). The strange thing although I was poor at some fine motor skills such as dressing, tying shoe laces, using cutlery etc., I was good at drawing and painting and my handwriting has always been neat.
As an adult, amazingly I was reasonably successful in my chosen career as a nurse despite the challenges of learning practical skills. I now work in Higher Education so more intellectual than practical.
As an adult, one of the biggest issues has been driving. I passed first time but only after years of lessons and two instructors. I hated it however, it terrified me and after I learned it was several years before I had the opportunity to drive a car regularly. I tried but never got over my fears, and despite pressure from family, spouses and friends still don’t drive. I live and work in London with good transport links so not an issue, but I do feel negatively judged by others on this.
On the positive side, I did find in my early twenties that I worked out how to run and walk with more ease, and they are still my main modes of exercise.
Sorry for this overlong introduction ~ clearly needed to say all this stuff!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Annie and welcome

I don't drive myself, principally because I have a visual impairment that pecludes it. However,I do get the feeling some people do regard non-drivers as somehow 'not normal'.

I think that if you don't want to or particularly need to, you can save a great deal of expense hassle and stress even if the grass seems greener for those who have a car they can use to freely go to places whenever and wherever they so desire.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Welcome .

Your choice whether to drive or not is diddly squat of their business. Especially if the transport links for not driving are invariably the more effective way of commuting in London anyway.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Welcome Annievh - I believe NOT driving is a positive thing - if you can manage your life without doing so.

I regret that back in the 1960s when I got the habit of driving I had not learned that it is more important for a nation and the environment top have good public transport than facilities for private transport.

I hope we hear more from you and that you find it useful reading our archives.

Incidentally - what area of London do you live in? - I now live in the Maldon District in Essex but am a Walthamstow boy and for a lot of my working life I commuted and then worked locally in numbers of North and east london districts - as well as the City and at one time West End - plus my job took me to all the London prisons and many of the London Courts - (I am not quite sure I went to absolutely every London prison - but certainly the main ones)