Hi there, I am new!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mittycucoon
New member - welcome them!

Hi there, I am new!

Post by Mittycucoon »

:) Hi All, I hope I am ok to be on this site. I am a mum of a 10 yo boy with dyspraxia and I am hoping to gain some insight and develope more of an understanding of how life is and will be for my son. He has his diagnosis 2 years now and it was a bit of a struggle to get to it, but a big relief for all. Daily life for him and the rest of the family is a struggle at times. I am also hoping to gain a little insight into the challenges faced by people with dyspraxia when it comes to personal relationships / partnerships. Also, I am seeing many traits in my Husband that my son has. I am hoping to suggest to my husband to have an assessment done. If he was diagnosed it would help explain to me why our marriage has been a challenge for us both over the years. Any advice I very much appreciate and am grateful for, in helping me to increase my understanding of how life works for my boy and possibly my husband. Thank you all.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi there, I am new!

Post by Tom fod »

Mittycucoon wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:15 am :) Hi All, I hope I am ok to be on this site. I am a mum of a 10 yo boy with dyspraxia and I am hoping to gain some insight and develope more of an understanding of how life is and will be for my son. He has his diagnosis 2 years now and it was a bit of a struggle to get to it, but a big relief for all. Daily life for him and the rest of the family is a struggle at times. I am also hoping to gain a little insight into the challenges faced by people with dyspraxia when it comes to personal relationships / partnerships. Also, I am seeing many traits in my Husband that my son has. I am hoping to suggest to my husband to have an assessment done. If he was diagnosed it would help explain to me why our marriage has been a challenge for us both over the years. Any advice I very much appreciate and am grateful for, in helping me to increase my understanding of how life works for my boy and possibly my husband. Thank you all.
I‘ts not really possible to predict how your son’s life will be in 5 or 10 or even 20 years for that matter. Some of us are unlucky in love and some do fine. You can only do your best to support him and teach him that he can be self reliant and to be a decent well adjusted person.

For your husband, getting assessed as an adult is generally not easy and if he doesn’t want to; he won’t! How do you think he’d react if he read this?

We all find our ways of coping but often we feel frustrated and may blame ourselves for not being adequate so tread very carefully and sensitively here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I agree with that from Tom.

Please keep posting, Mittycucoon it is good to hear from a concerned family member.

I am seventy and discovered mine and my daughter and my mother's Dyspraxia twenty years ago.

It continues to cause difficulties between my wife and I who I met in 1964.
Mittycucoon
New member - welcome them!

Post by Mittycucoon »

Thank you Tom and Andrew for your replies, I appreciate them.
I realise its not possible to predict how my son's life will be, I am only interested in gaining more understanding so I can guide him as best I can. I know ultimately this is his life path. And indeed he is teaching me so much about life.
My husband would be ok with my queries, he knows I only act from a place of love for him and our family. I wish you all a happy Christmas, and I look forward to learning from your site, Kind regards.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

There are plenty of posts to look through all ready - come back with your comments as time passes
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

If you want to point your husband towards the forum, he would be v welcome.

As you'll see we get posters from all over the world with a wide array of backgrounds with a wide swathe of different experiences. We don't grow out of dyspraxia but we can and do become more adept at the challenges it can bring, though sometimes we need to ask for help and finding and reconciling the help we want/need can be tricky.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Hello welcome to the big world of dyspraxia.

I think the single best bit of advice to give, is just have a little bit of patience. Like with anything else every dyspraxic person is unique and it affects people in different ways there is no one size fits all.

Now that he has a diagnosis and as long as it’s not hidden from him then he has opportunity to come to terms with it. He’ll learn to understand what it means to and for him to the extent that he’ll naturally develop coping mechanisms.

Dyspraxia will always be part of him, but it doesn’t have to define him nor hold him back from any aspirations he might have. It just introduces some unwelcome obstacles that’s all.

Just think of it as an unfortunate forcement into a scenic route because the bypass was shut.

As for your husband, if he’s coped well enough this long without knowing then you’d have to question the benefits of pushing the question in that direction.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: