Hi

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kimwpboyd
New member - welcome them!

Hi

Post by kimwpboyd »

I'm a 54 year-old man who is encountering some issues at work to do with organisation and time management at the moment. When I read about some of the issues which people with dyspraxia face, there seems to be a fit - I have not had any assessment yet, however. I would like to get to a place where the issues I am facing are not just insurmountable difficulties, which is how they seem at the moment, and where I have the right strategies and support in place to feel a greater sense of being competent. I'm delighted to have found this forum!

I love reading, I'm in a community choir, and I like cycling. I have a wonderful family life, and I am also lucky enough to enjoy some of the great cultural events which are available here in London.
brutaldjc
Getting settled in

Re: Hi

Post by brutaldjc »

Hi kimwpboyd, I've just joined to forum too!

In terms of assessment I got it done privately via dyspraxia UK. It's a bit on the expensive side but personally for me it was so worth it to confirm why I find many things difficult.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I got most help from face to face and online contact with others in a similar position when I began to suspect I was dyspraxic in 1999 aged 50 when I was working in London.

It may help to seek an assessment that will be accepted by an employer and the NHS - I personally would prefer an assessment by a chartered psychologist over that of anyone else - they are very hard to obtain within the NHS.

I also had a lot of help from my Trade Union - I believe it is probably worth belonging to a Union even if that Union does not have negotiating rights with one's actual employer because their work related advise should be reliable within the employment and equal rights laws.

It is probably worth seeing what help can be obtained by membership of the Dyspraxia Foundation - even though they tend to be more useful for families they do have some adult support avaibale.

The new Dyspraxia and Life Magazine is looking to be a good source of information - they are even lining up some online meetings.

Dyspraxia/DCD is a disability and consequently protections are available in law from most employers and providers of services via the equal opportunities legislation.

Keep asking questions - is what I would suggest and sharing the detail of experiences together we gain better understandings - no one is going to come along and fix things for us - we need to work together.

For links to that magazine - please click below

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... php?t=6386

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

AND subscribe to the various threads and Forums here so you get lots of messages by email.

At the bottom of each Forum section here is a box where one can click to sign up to recive notice of posts

AND at the top it will appear something like this depending on what section you have clicked.