Hello everyone

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tilly Mint
New member - welcome them!

Hello everyone

Post by Tilly Mint »

Hi, I hope I'm doing this right. I'm not very good with computers and must confess I find this site a bit confusing. I'm undiagnosed, and don't think there's much chance of a diagnosis on the NHS at my age (70). I only discovered the term "dyspraxia" about 11 years ago when I spotted a book in the library. I tick many of the boxes, especially for physical symptoms. When I was 4 my mother took me to the doctor because I was always tripping up and had painful, swollen knees. The doctor diagnosed bursitis, commonly known as "housemaid's knee", and thought it was hilarious, as usually only adults who spend a lot of time kneeling get it. Basically, he just said I was clumsy, and would grow out of it. I blundered on through childhood, once managing to fall over and break both my front teeth, but didn't have any major problems until secondary school, where sports suddenly featured in a big way. I had trouble catching or hitting a ball, and tripped over my own feet in athletics. Unfortunately, in a girls' grammar school, ability in sport equalled popularity so I had a difficult time with the other girls and especially the games teachers, who were convinced I was taking the mickey and/or being deliberately bolshy. Luckily I had no problems with reading and was very good at academic work, but that made me even less popular - the goofy brainbox.

Adulthood was easier as I was able to avoid things I was hopeless at. I didn't attempt to learn to drive until well into my twenties, when I spent a fortune on hundreds of lessons and failed tests. Finally, in my thirties, my husband suggested an automatic car might be easier and, as he had a company car at this time, was able to buy me a second-hand automatic Metro. I finally passed the test, to the surprise of my driving instructor, and drove for a few years, but never felt confident, especially when reversing or manoeuvring,and had a number of bumps - luckily not serious, but expensive and frightening. I also have no sense of direction and often got lost. So I decided it was best for all concerned if I gave up before doing serious damage to myself or others!

I've also had lifelong problems with depression, lack of self-esteem and social anxiety. At no time, even up to the present, did any of my doctors suggest dyspraxia, and I'm reluctant to go to my GP with a self-diagnosis. I'm so pleased to read that children nowadays are getting diagnosed and helped early on. I was worried that my daughter had inherited my problem, as she was very late developing her gross motor skills, but her fine motor skills are excellent, and she grew up to become a surgeon (and an enthusiastic driver!)

It's good to find there are plenty of people out there with similar problems to me, and I'm not some weird freak!
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Welcome Tilly, I am 69 diagnosed by NHS Psychiatrist in Essex 4 or 5 years ago.

Whereabouts in the country are you?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Tilly and welcome

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and/or contribute to existing threads old or new.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tilly Mint
New member - welcome them!

Post by Tilly Mint »

Hi Andrew, I'm in East Sussex. I'm reluctant to bother my GP in case she thinks I'm being a hypochondriac. I'm also very aware that the NHS is almost at breaking point, especially the mental health sector, so I feel a bit guilty about going. But perhaps I should give it a try.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Maybe try talking to Dyspraxia Foundation , helpline.

It is extremely frustrating and no wonder we get ill trying to function in a society that cannot see our disability, which can even seem hidden from us.

There maybe others in East Sussex who could meet up with you. I found meeting with folks who understand helped me.

What town would be convenient for you perhaps to meet others in a safe public place, if such an idea might be feasible for you and what sort of time day evening,:- weekend / midweek / particular day?

I wish you well.