Texan Dyspraxic

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

grissom2984
Getting settled in

Texan Dyspraxic

Post by grissom2984 »

Good evening, all!

I'm new here, at least as a member. I've been to this forum and have used it as a resource for a while now. I'm 34, from Texas, and was first diagnosed as dyspraxic when I was 5 years old. Growing up in the Baptist church, I loved going to church, but would be frustrated with the lack of structure the private faith life had. I discovered the Anglican/Episcopal/Catholic liturgy in high school and fell in love with it. I finally had a rubric with how to move my body, and it goes at such a pace that I can keep up. I finally was home. I discovered that because of my limited working/short-term memory, I'm perfectly designed to hear confessions as a priest, so I'm moving in that direction. Hoping to go back to school to finish my education to enter seminary and be ordained. I'm also a huge Star Trek and Doctor Who fan, and am just beginning to collect vintage computers (starting with the Commodore 64). I don't see my dyspraxia as a limitation so much as a different way of processing information, and a unique way of seeing the world. My wife will tell you I'm a fiercely loyal terrier of a man partly because of it. I'm happy to be here!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Texan Dyspraxic

Post by Tom fod »

We’re Pleased to Welcome you here to our site/community. Do Beware some of us here are heathens (but I don’t bite much).

I find people tell me all sorts as I’m fortunate in that I seem to be able to put people at ease and try my best not to judge but to try to understand the other persons perspective.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
grissom2984
Getting settled in

Post by grissom2984 »

Tom fod wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 pm We’re Pleased to Welcome you here to our site/community. Do Beware some of us here are heathens (but I don’t bite much).

I find people tell me all sorts as I’m fortunate in that I seem to be able to put people at ease and try my best not to judge but to try to understand the other persons perspective.
Thank you for the kind welcome, and you're absolutely right!
If anyone is interested, there's a Catholic saint I'm convinced had dyspraxia or something similar: St. Joseph of Cupertino. He was considered "slow," but what he did learn, his long-term memory basically made it photographic and he could quote any scripture he memorized verbatim. He was also known to be clumsy. His mother didn't want to care for him anymore so she dropped him off at a monastery. He didn't fit in there, and the monks kicked him out. His mom called in a favor to get him in with another monastery. As the years went on, and he was ordained a priest, during private devotional prayer to Mary, and at times while saying mass, he'd levitate and would fall into a state of ecstasy. Because his verbal testing to be ordained happened to be a passage he had memorized, he is the patron saints of students taking tests. Because of the levitation, he's the patron of pilots. In my exploring his story, I have adopted him as the patron of dyspraxics.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You’re welcome. Thanks for the Interesting story and I guess it shows we can potentially all find a place for ourselves though the journey may be long and difficult with many pitfalls along the way. Maintaining faith that you will come through is always the hard part.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
grissom2984
Getting settled in

Post by grissom2984 »

What is also important is community. As much as many of us may be loners, having a sounding board to share experiences here is fantastic. Thank you for having this forum!